Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stumbled Across an Awesome Deal!

Default Re: Stumbled Across an Awesome Deal!

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    To truly get the best answer is to take frequency response measurements of the your subwoofer and speakers in your room and determine the range each works best.

That said, 80hz is a good starting point. The speakers are set to "small" right?

I recently did some re-arranging of my system. Some furniture removed, so it gave me the flexibility to move the subwoofer to a better location. In my room, no matter where I put the sub, I have a huge suck-out/dip at approximately 50hz, so I put the sub where the dip was the least severe.

I then re-ran room correction (i only room correct below 400hz), and the system set the crossover at 90hz for the LR, and 80hz for the center, all Sierra-2s. Previously, the system had them all set at 80hz.
    Audyssey keeps setting them to either "large" or sets the crossover to 40 hz. I change it to 80.

I have a great fr. I'm asking because I also have a huge room and ample power. Sometimes I like it loud. They sound pretty good turned up with 80 hz crossover but boy those woofers are dancing and I'm worried about over driving them. Otoh if they're designed for that much movement and it's normal I won't worry about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What did you use to get those measurements?

Yeah, I would not set the speakers to large. I would do small and 80hz and see what kind measurements you get.
    -curtis

You know, Audyssey XT32 got me most of the way there. After that I used measurements and made some minor adjustments with a MiniDSP 2x4 HD that I have on my subs. Those sweeps are with the Sierras crossed at 80 hz. I'm happy with the fr and it sounds great. That Seas woofer looks like it's ready to jump out of the basket when I start hitting reference volumes tho. Maybe that's normal, I dunno.

If a higher crossover prevents mechanical damage at high volumes then I'll go with 90 or 100 (measures very similarly), tho I do prefer the sound of 80.
    Last edited by Pogre; 04-26-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    You know, Audyssey XT32 got me most of the way there. After that I used measurements and made some minor adjustments with a MiniDSP 2x4 HD that I have on my subs. Those sweeps are with the Sierras crossed at 80 hz. I'm happy with the fr and it sounds great. That Seas woofer looks like it's ready to jump out of the basket when I start hitting reference volumes tho. Maybe that's normal, I dunno.

If a higher crossover prevents mechanical damage at high volumes then I'll go with 90 or 100 (measures very similarly), tho I do prefer the sound of 80.
    Excellent. Speakers set to small, right? I think you are set.

BTW, I have heard the Sierra-2's in Ascend's demo room, full range, and pretty freaking loud. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    -curtis

Excellent. Speakers set to small, right? I think you are set.

BTW, I have heard the Sierra-2's in Ascend's demo room, full range, and pretty freaking loud. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    Thank you! And yes, speakers set to small, always when I'm using the subs. I even set my Ultra towers to small and cross them over at 80. I'm a big fan of bass management, lol.

And thanks also for the reassurance. That really was my only concern. There's a lot of motion, but I'm not detecting any breakup or misbehavior from them. I slowly took them up to reference and they kept getting louder without any issues I could hear. These little books are very, very impressive. They absolutely sound bigger than they are.

Whatcha listening to for that woofer movement? I will check mine out.
    -curtis

Whatcha listening to for that woofer movement? I will check mine out.
    TOOL: Fear Innoculum. The kick drum on Chocolate Chip Trip especially, but there's decent bass through the whole cd.
    The Eagles have a live version of Hotel California from their Hell Freezes tour that has this super deep drum in the beginning.
    Korn pretty much any Korn, lol.
    Paul Simon's "Diamonds On the Soles of Her Shoes".
    Santana, the drums in the beginning of "Migra".
    Chevelle's "Under the Knife"

Quote Originally Posted by Pogre View Post
    TOOL: Fear Innoculum. The kick drum on Chocolate Chip Trip especially, but there's decent bass through the whole cd.
    The Eagles have a live version of Hotel California from their Hell Freezes tour that has this super deep drum in the beginning.
    Korn pretty much any Korn, lol.
    Paul Simon's "Diamonds On the Soles of Her Shoes".
    The drums in the beginning of Santana's "Migra".
    Chevelle's "Under the Knife"
    Great...I will get to them today.
    -curtis

Just did Chocolate Chip Trip. That's some good movement, but nothing I'd be worried about. Not exactly sure how loud it got as I didn't break out my meter.
    -curtis

Just did Chocolate Chip Trip. That's some good movement, but nothing I'd be worried about. Not exactly sure how loud it got as I didn't break out my meter.
    Yeah, I'm Audyssey calibrated for 0 to be 85 dB at my seat, which is 15' from the front stage. I don't have a meter so I can only assume it's at least pretty close to that. The levels are bumped 1.5 dB for the Sierras. Audyssey setup usually cuts that much (-1.5) for the Ultra books so the Sierras aren't quite as sensitive.

I'm sure happy with them tho. I never thought I'd consider selling the Ultras but I'm really impressed with the Sierra 2s. I'm used to my towers and like it loud sometimes. The 2s are getting plenty loud and they're doing it cleanly. I really want to hear what the tower version can do!