Thread: PSA: Dont place rubber under your speakers

Default PSA: Dont place rubber under your speakers

Don’t be like me and isolate your nice speakers with rubber. I had a rubber mat under my speakers separating the speakers from the metal speaker stand. Went to move my 2EXs this weekend before getting my carpets cleaned and was horrified at what I had inadvertently done to the bottom of the speakers.

Crazy because my last speakers sat on this same mat for 9 years with no issue. Must be due to a different type of finish. I don’t ever plan on reselling these and since it is on the bottom Im trying to convince myself to not be too upset. You live and you learn...

https://ibb.co/SKYzy02

Default Re: PSA: Dont place rubber under your speakers

That stinks. I use some 1/4” neoprene type rubber under mine without issues. The brand is Xcel and you can buy on Amazon or direct. I put it under about everything to eliminate vibration/rattles.

Have used it for years and has not affected my finish.

Can you post a pic of the rubber you used?

I use stuff similar to this without any issue yet and its been almost two years.
    mat .jpg

I have a rubber type mat under my speakers. I hope I don't have that problem. I'm afraid to look!

So sorry that happened. I’m guessing that the solvents in the rubber dissolved the finish.

I just pulled the synthetic microfiber cloth I had under my center and replaced it with an old cotton towel.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    That stinks. I use some 1/4” neoprene type rubber under mine without issues. The brand is Xcel and you can buy on Amazon or direct. I put it under about everything to eliminate vibration/rattles.

I don't have the mat anymore, I tossed it into the trash. It was a piece of ESD mat I had from 10 years ago. There are likely different types of rubber that wont have this affect, but in the future I will not take that chance again that is for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post

+1.
    I have 1/4in Xcel neoprene mat under my 2EXs, cut to fit the top plate of my stands. No issues.

Will add to the OP's warning though: I completely destroyed the paint & clearcoat finish I did on a motorcycle gas tank a few years ago by wrapping it in bubble-wrap before loading for a house move. Evidently, bubble-wrap can leach the same kind of finish-melting chemicals as the OPs rubber.

I will add...

Stay away from using sorbothane!

It off gases, and has some kind of moisture properties that ruins finishes.
    -curtis

The pattern on the bottom of your speaker looks like the shelf liner we used when I worked in the meat dept at a big chain. That stuff can get gnarly and off gases, as you discovered. Neoprene, as was suggested would work really well.

That's too bad! Thanks for the heads-up on this!

It looks like you have the domestic cabinets?

I used Blue Tac on my domestic cabinets and at the time I, was not sure if the tac would cause damage to the finish. It was a risk I was willing to take so I applied it when I mounted them. They sat on the stands for about a year before I removed them for the EX upgrade. When I pealed off the flattened tac, all was well.

I wonder if you can ask Dave what the finish is? I'm thinking you may be able to use alcohol to clean the surface. Sand it with 220 and then re finish it. The finish is some sort of lacquer and might be compatible with some of the sprays out there.

It's on the bottom so it will be out of sight during use whether you leave it the way it is or attempt a refinish.