Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any new higher end models on the way?

My standard is champagne taste on a beer budget.
    Good Sound to You!

James Greenberg
    www.ascendacoustics.com

maybe it's just me, but I've never had dipole surrounds. Since my HT is movies only I'd love to try a pair. If Ascend made dipoles I can guarantee they'd sell at least one pair
    brad

end of transmission.......

Quote Originally Posted by demunb
    maybe it's just me, but I've never had dipole surrounds. Since my HT is movies only I'd love to try a pair. If Ascend made dipoles I can guarantee they'd sell at least one pair
    What makes dipoles better? I don't know anything about them.

Dipoles are not better. They're different. They're not for everyone, including me or for every situation. Listen and then decide.

David

Like David said, they're not inherently better, just different. Dipole speakers have drivers that do not face directly forward- usually they have a driver facing front and another facing back. they are pointed so that no sound comes directly at you, but sort of envelopes you. Lots of companies produce dipoles for surround duty because of this diffuse presentation for the rear channels. There's lots of debate about this topic but you'll find devotees in both camps.

My comments are based on the fact that I've never owned dipoles, but if Ascend came out with some I'd try them in my movie room. Most people I've talked to prefer a direct radiator for multi-channel music, but for movies it seems to be a toss up.

Others with more knowledge can chime in with specifics.
    brad

end of transmission.......

it goes back to a common theme - speakers are personal

i prefer direct firing for many reasons.

I want pin-point, head turning, accurate surround sound. Directs combined with current surround sound technologies deliver that experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    ....but for me, and for right now, I am just enjoying more critical listening.
    Dave! Critical listening!?! Are you maybe *testing* something....*new*????

Sorry...I love my conspiracy theories

Anyhow...more on topic: my vote would be for a dedicated surround that could be mounted flush to a wall like the 200. Versatility is huge for a surround I think. Maybe something that is both direct & multipolar...oh yeah...switchable! Or maybe a hybrid like those weird Mirage Omnisats (never heard them but saw good reviews). I understand more drivers=more cost, but if they're not much more than about $350 a pair, I'd be very happy.

I say: Quick speaker designing to you!

Jon O.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 02-08-2005 at 06:33 AM.
    Jon O.

Dave- my vote is also for a surround...BUT how about a multi-drive tripole design.....something you should be quite familar with AND something I bet you can probably improve upon.

I was reading some of the older threads and Dave said he's working on a new surround speaker. That was back in 2003 so maybe they will have it done soon.

I hope so, I want to buy in the next few months. Oh that would be great.

I remember bugging dave about a surround back in the old forums, but I thought it would be good to bother him some more about it
    Jon O.