Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any new higher end models on the way?

I think a CBM-170 mounted on the wall looks pretty - and it sounds even better than it looks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davef; 02-02-2005 at 02:23 AM.

Brad...you already have some of the best looking CBM-170's. Can I persuade you to post a pic for the newer members?

Have you thought about doing matching stands for them?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Brad...you already have some of the best looking CBM-170's. Can I persuade you to post a pic for the newer members?

Have you thought about doing matching stands for them?
    I'll post a pic in a minute. I have actually thought about making matching stands since I have extra veneer. Probably something that looks a lot like yours, but with my veneer. It was a lot of work, so I haven't decided yet. Since it would have to wait for better weather anyway, I have some time to think about it.

The other thought is seeing if DaveF will send me bare 340s and make a pair that matches my 170s. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough veneer to do 340 and stands, although 340s with my veneer on gloss black stands would look pretty slick.

Here's a pic. If we get gallery space I'll upload stuff. At the moment, I have a number of things in my AV123 gallery space here (most of it is in the sub-albums listed at the top): http://forum.av123.com/photopost/sho...at=500&thumb=1

I'd say I'm one of the more vocal people when it comes to wanting more products from Ascend. Dave is probably tired of me bringing it up every few months! While it may be an annoyance I only bring it up because the 340s just aren't going to cut it in my next setup.

Right now I have a 5.1 setup consisting of five 340s and an SVS 20-39 PCi. I power it with a Denon 3803. My room is sealed and measures 14W x 20L. For the money I couldn't be happier with my setup.

I really like my Ascends. I want Ascends in my next home theater. I certainly don't mean it as an insult when I say the 340s won't cut it in my new setup. It's just that my next setup will be my no compromises setup. Front projector, infinite baffle subwoofer, separates, recliner seating, the works. As of right now the speaker system that tops my list for movie reproduction is the M&K S-150 THX ULTRA. I'm sure others prefer something different, and I may find something too, but right now to my ears I've heard nothing better.

When I push for new Ascend products I do it merely because I want to continue supporting Ascend with my own wallet. I have and will continue to support them with recommendations when the situation calls for it. Unfortunately most of my friends are cheap bastards. I can only hope my online recommendations are more productive for Dave & company.

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Yup.. I am surprised by my comments as well... The 340s will play lower and with improved dynamics compared to the 170s so that might explain some of it.

However, I can probably attribute some of what I am finding annoying about using a sub (and I have Hsu, SVS, and a host of others) is that most recording engineers are simply over-doing it on the bass.
    Have you looked into Infinite Baffle subs? After doing a lot of reading and research on them, it seems many folks who have always been dissapointed with other subs, try an "IB" and are converted instantly. Supposedly, they add *no* color to the sound compared with box subs. Supreme accuracy, and the ability to go below 10hz! (What that is good for, I don't know) They also have the advantage of taking up no space in your listening area, as they are mounted in the attic or basement.

Disadvantages: Need rudimentary DIY skills, need an adjoining space to your listening room (basement, attic, garage, storage area) that is big enough to act as a infinite baffle.

I was about to buy an expensive box sub, but after reading up on IB, it's a no-brainer for my situation, since I have a full basement under my listening room.

Check it out: The Cult of the Infinitly Baffled

In a certain sense.....if you get those M&K S-150's, Dave will still be part of your HT.

It would certainly be interesting to hear what Dave and Ascend could do if they charged that kind of money for a speaker.

When you say "no compromises"....you do have a budget though, right?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    The other thought is seeing if DaveF will send me bare 340s and make a pair that matches my 170s. Unfortunately, I don't think I have enough veneer to do 340 and stands, although 340s with my veneer on gloss black stands would look pretty slick.
    I agree.....that veneer with gloss black stands would look real nice!!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by ClutchBrake
    As of right now the speaker system that tops my list for movie reproduction is the M&K S-150 THX ULTRA.
    You might be in for a real surprise as to how similiar those are to the 170s.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    In a certain sense.....if you get those M&K S-150's, Dave will still be part of your HT.

It would certainly be interesting to hear what Dave and Ascend could do if they charged that kind of money for a speaker.

When you say "no compromises"....you do have a budget though, right?

Interesting comment. With my current setup the two finalists were the Ascend setup and the M&K 750 MK II THX SELECT.

Well, I don't necessarily want Dave to charge that kind of money for a speaker. I want Dave & Co. to charge less and offer the same performance!

This isn't something I'm going to be doing in the near future. I'm talking five years down the road or more. I've barely lived where I am now for a year.

When I say no compromises I mean I am going to get what sounds best to me. Right now that is the M&K S-150 THX ULTRA setup. Lists for about $4K and can likely be had with a nice discount. That is my idea of not compromising. I'm sure there are much more expensive speakers out there but I'll likely never be exposed to them.

My no compromises standard is different that that of most, I'm sure. When I say no compromises I mean it as a middle class guy, not someone who has money. For example, my idea of a no compromises sports car is a C6 Corvette, not a million dollar import.

I can guarantee you I make far less money than most of you. The difference is I have no wife or children to support.