Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The audio industry still doesn't make sense to me...

Default Re: The audio industry still doesn't make sense to me...

The most important question is if there is enough market for a company to make this kind of speaker. Specifically, is there enough market for Ascend to develop such a speaker. They have in the HTM-200SE and the CBM-170SE. These speakers have been around for almost 20 years, with only one change to the SE models (new woofer and tweeter). If Ascend saw the need to upgrade them again, I think they would have. Before the Sierra line of speakers, these and the CMT-340 were the only speakers Ascend offered.

Ascend is not a big company, they can not waste time and energy on something that isn't going to be profitable. Dave works a lot to get things "just right", not only with his own design/engineering, but with his OEMs to bring us excellent products.

I am 99% sure there isn't a technical issue. It is more about if it makes sense for Ascend.

I think you are looking for something like this:
    https://jblpro.com/en/products/c222hp
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The most important question is if there is enough market for a company to make this kind of speaker. Specifically, is there enough market for Ascend to develop such a speaker. They have in the HTM-200SE and the CBM-170SE. These speakers have been around for almost 20 years, with only one change to the SE models (new woofer and tweeter). If Ascend saw the need to upgrade them again, I think they would have. Before the Sierra line of speakers, these and the CMT-340 were the only speakers Ascend offered.

Ascend is not a big company, they can not waste time and energy on something that isn't going to be profitable. Dave works a lot to get things "just right", not only with his own design/engineering, but with his OEMs to bring us excellent products.

I am 99% sure there isn't a technical issue. It is more about if it makes sense for Ascend.

I think you are looking for something like this:
    https://jblpro.com/en/products/c222hp

I agree with everything you said, Curtis. Dave has already confirmed for me that there isn't a big enough demand for this kind of speaker I'm talking about. This discussion is for YOU guys who buy speakers.

This discussion isn't so much to answer the "WHAT" questions (that Dave has graciously answered already) as it is the "WHY" questions. And the input from you guys has already begun to help me clarify my thinking.

And very funny, Curtis!!! Here are YOUR speakers now!!!

LOL!!!
    You guys better behave over there. Be safe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyfive View Post
    ...there should be an ENTIRE CATEGORY of high-end 2-way bookshelf speakers that emphasize midrange performance and efficiency over bass extension, and are expected to be used with nice subwoofers.
    Well, for my money that's exactly what I have. I've got a pair of Rythmiks, and a pair of Sierra-2s for L/R. When I'm listening to music, that's generally what I'm listening to, and it's for the reasons you state. Xover is 80 Hz. It sounds like a big floor standing full range speaker system, except that the subs are where they need to be to control room modes. What's not to like?
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Well, for my money that's exactly what I have. I've got a pair of Rythmiks, and a pair of Sierra-2s for L/R. When I'm listening to music, that's generally what I'm listening to, and it's for the reasons you state. Xover is 80 Hz. It sounds like a big floor standing full range speaker system, except that the subs are where they need to be to control room modes. What's not to like?
    That sounds great, Bruce!! I'm jealous of your setup!!

If you don't mind, what is your impression of my initial post? What is your thinking? I'm trying to get as many people's thoughts on this as I can because everyone's input on this is really helping me fill in the gaps of my understanding. Thanks!! Do you have any questions for me? Are you wondering why I seem to be making such a big deal? Or are you seeing some flawed reasoning that maybe you can help me with? Any input is much appreciated!! Thanks again!!

Be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    This past weekend, I did some re-arranging of my setup, specifically the subwoofer location.

My room has a big suckout at 50hz. I moved the sub all along length of wall that was open, about 10'. Everywhere had the suckout, but I put sub where there was the least amount.

Then I re-ran Genesis/ARC, and to my surprise, it set the crossover at 90hz for my mains.

I also made some other system changes.

Sounds wonderful!

It's what you do when you're not supposed to do much outside.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-15-2020 at 02:13 PM.
    -curtis

Or are you seeing some flawed reasoning that maybe you can help me with? Any input is much appreciated!! Thanks again!!
    Jonny...
    I don't think your reasoning is flawed, but like Bruce, I have what I need. (but I want 2EXs)
    What I think your missing is the actual market for what you want. It's very small.
    -curtis

I agree with everything you said, Curtis. Dave has already confirmed for me that there isn't a big enough demand for this kind of speaker I'm talking about. This discussion is for YOU guys who buy speakers.

This discussion isn't so much to answer the "WHAT" questions (that Dave has graciously answered already) as it is the "WHY" questions. And the input from you guys has already begun to help me clarify my thinking.

And very funny, Curtis!!! Here are YOUR speakers now!!!

LOL!!!
    You guys better behave over there. Be safe.
    Got it. BTW...I wasn't joking about those JBL's.

BTW...Dave has worked on exactly what you want in his previous life at Miller & Kreisel, the S150.
    https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...137/index.html
    -curtis

Got it. BTW...I wasn't joking about those JBL's.

BTW...Dave has worked on exactly what you want in his previous life at Miller & Kreisel, the S150.
    https://www.stereophile.com/standlou...137/index.html

Oops! My apologies!! I thought it had to be a joke! How can you be serious? (nervous laugh)

Yep! "Good sound to you.....always!"

Oops! My apologies!! I thought it had to be a joke! How can you be serious? (nervous laugh)

Yep! "Good sound to you.....always!"
    High output two-way meant to be used with a subwoofer.
    -curtis

High output two-way meant to be used with a subwoofer.
    I'm sorry Curtis, I know my posts were walls of text so I won't make you go back and read them. lol

I know at some point I'll need to reiterate my main points, but I'll spare ya'll the pain for now.

Or was I unclear somewhere? Very possible! Please, let me know!