Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello from PA

Default Re: Hello from PA

i put them in my profile album? yay????

20200408_143216 (1).jpg20200408_143202.jpg20200408_143141.jpg

receiver is 100W/ch pretty big room and i like to play the whole house and yard in the summer! not worried about neighbors.

thinking of DUO center, EX2 mains and Luna surround? i would love the towers with ribbons but i love my wife too! she dont like the price so much, maybe try the EX2 as mains then move to rear if they aren't enough and then get towers?
    IDK?

Onkyo TX-NR646
    Samsung 55" QlLED Q80T
    Rorel CD RDD-980
    Netflix-HULU- Tune in
    Boston acoustics T830 main
    Boston HD5 rear and center
    Last edited by audiohead; 04-09-2020 at 07:46 AM. Reason: add pics

What are your listening habits -- eg 50/50 music/HT, more music, more HT?
    How far back is your listening position from the mains/center?
    Overall budget?

Your proposed set up sounds nice. If you really want the Towers with RAAL, perhaps moving to the HTMs, CBMs, or CMTs for surrounds, with the Towers & DUO for the front 3, would be in your budget?

Of course, you could always call or email Dave or Dina at Ascend and ask their opinion.

i have been reading about these speakers for awhile but never even heard them. Our local shop an hour away carries Definitive Technology and Paradigm, i didn't care for the DT but liked the Paradigm Prestige.
    i replaced the 8" drivers on my T830 3 times already and they are a bit tired.
    was wondering how acend compares to the Paradigm Prestige? the Prestige are 3k each!
    chairs are @ 12' from tv
    room is 27" long wall to wall
    13-14" wide
    8' ceiling
    27x14x8= 3k SQ

stereo on Butler rock station almost all the time were not watching movies or shows.

Your room has a lot of hard surfaces, floor and wall, with little acoustic treatment. It will/does have tremendous effect on the sound.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-09-2020 at 08:27 AM.
    -curtis

Good observation, Curtis.

Audiohead - I've not heard the Prestige so can't comment. However, Paradigm speakers are well-regarded. Maybe you should start another thread seeing if there is anyone nearby you with the Towers who'd demo. Might have to wait a bit with this Chinese virus situation. You can also demo the Ascends in home; but would cost you shipping to return if you didn't keep them (which would be hard to believe :-) )

i do have a shout out ton this post above to anybody that may be here in the surrounding counties to try for a listen.

that's why i am kind of trying this in steps. it is a lot cheaper to send a smaller speaker back than a large one. i had originally thought of a sierra 1 center but read here somewhere the Duo was a significant upgrade? i feel the Horizon would be to much speaker for me too! i really don't know , compared to the tiny Boston that i have, even the sierra 1 center would be an upgrade.
    i would like to try the ribbons and have no idea if the sierra 2EZ would be strong enough for my mains?
    not like i'm running high end bridged amps and pre amps...just my favorite brand Onkyo! i do prefer Onkyo over Denon or Yamaha but looked real hard at Marantz
    just looking for a nice upgrade from current set up
    i love good sound quality!

i don't think the HTM CBM or CMT's will be much of an upgrade from what i currently have?
    Last edited by audiohead; 04-09-2020 at 08:57 AM. Reason: spelling

i could also go with a sierra 1 center and rears with towers without the ribbons?

just looking for a great balanced system? i don't really have a set budget but i do want a speaker upgrade from what i have and don't have to buy everything all at once

and definitely don't want to be disappointed in what i get!

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    have no idea if the sierra 2EZ would be strong enough for my mains?
    Have you used a DB meter to see how loud you typically listen to material in your room?

Quote Originally Posted by audiohead View Post
    i don't think the HTM CBM or CMT's will be much of an upgrade from what i currently have?
    You'd be surprised how good those speakers are at their price points. Especially the CMT-340se's.
    Last edited by curtis; 04-09-2020 at 11:55 AM.
    -curtis

Rereading through this thread.
    Looks like you are stereo music almost all the time. Also, don't have to upgrade all at once.

That said, I'd focus on the FL / FR and buy the best speaker for your room, listening habits, etc. I think either the 2EXs or the Towers with RAAL would be the way to go. The Towers are a bit more efficient so will require less power for same loudness at same distance. Plus the dedicated midrange. Whether or not this is worth the price difference is up to you.

I think I'd still go with the DUO as the center. Dave posted elsewhere on this thread about this. My interpretation - "it gives the Horizon a very good run for the money".

Surrounds - you could keep what you have now for the time being and upgrade later. Or look at one of the options I mentioned earlier. All the models blend well together, and if you don't do alot of movies or multi-channel music, not sure why you'd want to put extra $$ into surrounds that could go towards the fronts.

Good luck with your decision.

sorry curtis, my long reply didn't post? DB was lame and kind of loud at 75 i believe with a CD

no where close to the Metellica concert at the Brice Jordan Center i went to last fall! i use the amp

i think my real decision is 2ex or towers for 2x the price? im pretty much convinced on the DUO for center

now i keep getting signed off...! grrr