Thread: Banana plugs won’t fit sierra 2s

Default Banana plugs won’t fit sierra 2s

*EDIT* never mind I got it! . Im a big dummy please disregard. I’ll figure out how to delete the post in a sec

I recently bought some blue jeans cables ($80) and some WyWires ($300) To test in my system and debunk this whole cable nonsense for myself. The blue jeans cables arrived and the locking bananas will not fit into the female ends that are on the sierra 2s. The banana plug is too fat on the blue jeans cables end. Is this normal? I thought banana plugs would all be the same size. Has anyone else had this problem? I tried pulling out some old banana plugs from amazon and they didn’t fit as well which I guess is the problem I ran into 2 years ago and forgot about. If anyone has any advice or knows the solution please help! Lol thanks guys
    Last edited by zRouth; 03-21-2020 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Got it!

Default Re: Banana plugs won’t fit sierra 2s

Quote Originally Posted by zRouth View Post
    *EDIT* never mind I got it! . Im a big dummy please disregard. I’ll figure out how to delete the post in a sec
    I was going to say that I have Blue Jean locking bananas too, and they work great.

Did you have them in the "lock" position?
    -curtis

Got it in 1

I also just did an hour listening session and went back and forth between my bj cable and my amazon 14gauge and the difference if any was almost imperceptible. It was not night and day. The only thing I “may” have noticed, and I say may because our minds can play tricks on us, was a slight increase in overall presence of the music. Things sounded ever so slightly more full bodied. Unless the wywires are magic I’m confident that cables make little appreciable difference.

I also just did an hour listening session and went back and forth between my bj cable and my amazon 14gauge and the difference if any was almost imperceptible. It was not night and day. The only thing I “may” have noticed, and I say may because our minds can play tricks on us, was a slight increase in overall presence of the music. Things sounded ever so slightly more full bodied. Unless the wywires are magic I’m confident that cables make little appreciable difference.
    Correct.

One of the biggest snake oil categories in Home Audio/Theater is high priced cables.

Gordon Gow's Speaker Wire Listening Test

I have read several magazine articles and papers expressing the findings and opinions about the various kinds of speaker wire. Some engineers have applied their expertise to make measurements to prove conclusively that there ARE differences between wires. A few authors have devoted their entire paper to the measurements and never mention whether they have actually made any listening tests or if they could hear any difference. Despite all the measurements and opinions, the final test is whether you can hear any difference or not. Obviously, this must be done under controlled conditions where you don't know which wire is connected and there is no delay in switching.

In the early 1980's, special speaker wires were beginning to appear on the market. Some of the claims were totally unbelievable and had prices to match. Realizing that wire resistance was the critical factor in speaker wire, Gordon Gow, President of McIntosh Laboratory, used a speaker cable demonstration to show there was no listening difference between these wires and plain line cord. He delivered his presentation about the truth in speaker wire using a reel of Monster cable to stand on. Fifty-foot lengths of wire were used in the comparison. The setup consisted of a master control relay box and two slave relay boxes. A three-position switch was used to select one of three different speaker wires of equal length. One was line cord. The other two wires were from popular manufacturers. 8-ohm speakers were selected to be used in the test. The two other brand name wires were heavier than the line cord.

The boxes now show some signs of wear. This is from being handled and traveling around in a large fiberglass case along with all of the speaker wires and connecting cables.

A slave box was positioned at each speaker. Power to drive the relays in each slave box was provided with separate cables. The speaker wires were switched at both the power amplifier and the speaker so that only one kind of wire was connected at a time. Short pieces of heavy wire were run from the speakers and amplifier to the relay boxes. No other devices were used in the speaker line. The relay contact resistance was measured to be less than 0.1 ohms. No consistent listening differences were heard by customers or dealers.

The test proved his point. When I took the test, I was unable to hear any differences using several different 8-ohm speaker systems. BUT, when I deliberately played one particular 4-ohm speaker and I switched to the line cord position, I could hear differences. I knew this system dipped down to 2.6 ohms in one frequency range, and 3 ohms in another. It verified that differences can be heard if the wire is too light for a lower impedance system. A system this low in impedance requires heavier wire. After replacing the line cord with a heavier line cord of equal length, differences could no longer be heard.

More often than not, a controlled test like this is ignored and the wire being used is known and the delay in connecting the other wire for comparison is too long. Even worse, when the new wire is installed and no comparison is made at all except for the memory of what the previous wire might have sounded like, the test can be completely invalid. Of course, when the new wire is known and all the hype is fresh in mind and/or expectations are high, believing can then be what is heard and not the wire.
    http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#silverwire

Repeatedly, in blind tests, people can't tell the difference.

It gets even more hilarious, and stupid when it comes to high price ethernet cables. Because, you know, fine material gives those 1s and 0s extra sound purity!

Quote Originally Posted by VeryFAsetr View Post
    if any was almost imperceptible. It was not night and day. The only thing I “may” have noticed, and I say may because our minds can play tricks on us, was a slight increase in overall presence of the music. Things sounded ever so slightly more full bodied. Unless i tried legal steroids from gnc the wywires are magic I’m confident that cables make little appreciable difference.
    How to Install Banana Plugs on Your Speaker Wire
    Use the wire strippers to strip off 1/4″ of the speaker wire insulation.
    Twist the ends of the exposed copper wire so that the strands stay together.
    Unscrew the bottom of the banana plug so that the hole is open. ...
    Insert the twisted wire into the hole.
    Last edited by AnthonyDonaldson; 11-26-2020 at 04:27 AM.

I think any difference you heard is placebo. Cables do not increase presence or make more full bodied, that's just nonsense. I know you hedged that statement a little bit, but it still gets my hackles up because it implies there's a noticeable difference. The only way to really accurately do this is to eliminate sighted bias, or any bias as much as possible via DBT. Those are a real pain to set properly tho and not many do it.

Curious why you'd test this with blue jeans cables tho... those guys don't make the same nebulous claims as the likes of Fraudioquest and some of the others do.