Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiver Question

Default Receiver Question

Hi,
    I am hearing a lot of good things about the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080. I would be using it with the Towers with RAAL and a Duo for Center. Any thoughts on this.

Another option would be the Denon denon avr-x4500h. On sale at the moment and gives me a 9.2 for the same money as the Yamaha, however my requirements is really for a 7.2.

Thanks!

Default Re: Receiver Question

Quote Originally Posted by nkblitz View Post
    Hi,
    I am hearing a lot of good things about the Yamaha Aventage RX-A1080. I would be using it with the Towers with RAAL and a Duo for Center. Any thoughts on this.

Another option would be the Denon denon avr-x4500h. On sale at the moment and gives me a 9.2 for the same money as the Yamaha, however my requirements is really for a 7.2.

Thanks!
    I bought the Denon X3500 recently. I'm not an audiophile but I love it. The AVS 2018 Denon forum is great for novices.

Quote Originally Posted by nkblitz View Post
    Hi,

Thanks!
    I'm biased since I've recently owned Denon receivers, but my pick would be the 4500. The feature I would value the most would be the Audyssey MultiEQ Editor App for $20. From what I've experienced and researched, auto room correction is best applied to bass, and this app allows you to select which frequencies you want to apply correction to.
    Nate

Anthem MRX series might be worth taking a look at. For 7.2, that would be the 720 (which may be more than you want to spend). Anthem's room correction software is excellent (some say on par with Dirac). It is also very flexible/tweakable - correction frequencies by speaker, room gain, etc. I believe you can download it and demo it as a stand-alone piece of software.

Full disclosure - I currently run the MRX720. Moved to Anthem a few years ago from Yamaha.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Anthem MRX series might be worth taking a look at. For 7.2, that would be the 720 (which may be more than you want to spend). Anthem's room correction software is excellent (some say on par with Dirac). It is also very flexible/tweakable - correction frequencies by speaker, room gain, etc. I believe you can download it and demo it as a stand-alone piece of software.

Full disclosure - I currently run the MRX720. Moved to Anthem a few years ago from Yamaha.
    Agree....MRX series has imo the better REQ software. I just switched from Anthem to a Marantz because I required (eArc) audio return for my new OLED. Just trying to figure out Audyssey but I can tell you I'm missing ARC...for the exact reason you've described.

Otherwise...Marantz, Denon or Yamaha amp sections are right up there with Anthem....having used 3 sets of REQ, I am still in the process of trying figure out the Audyssey learning curve....ARC did a better overall job of measuring, setting target and applying EQ filters.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.

Quote Originally Posted by billy p View Post
    Agree....MRX series has imo the better REQ software. I just switched from Anthem to a Marantz because I required (eArc) audio return for my new OLED. Just trying to figure out Audyssey but I can tell you I'm missing ARC...for the exact reason you've described.

Otherwise...Marantz, Denon or Yamaha amp sections are right up there with Anthem....having used 3 sets of REQ, I am still in the process of trying figure out the Audyssey learning curve....ARC did a better overall job of measuring, setting target and applying EQ filters.
    Rumour is a new MRX xx40 is coming later this year!

If you don’t mind, you have towers and horizon, why do you need eARC? Isn’t eARC to get lossless audio to a soundbar, if streaming services ever offer lossless audio. Currently ARC can bring DD+/Atmos to the AVR from the TV apps.

To OP.. go with Anthem! I may be biased as I’ve owned their products since the original MRX came out. With the new Anthem Room Correction software after you take your measurements you email Anthem support a copy of the file and they will fine tune it for you, send it back and you upload it for perfection. Anthem has outstanding customer service, what other AVR company does that?
    Last edited by JustABrah; 04-02-2020 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

If you don’t mind, you have towers and horizon, why do you need eARC? Isn’t eARC to get lossless audio to a soundbar, if streaming services ever offer lossless audio. Currently ARC can bring DD+/Atmos to the AVR from the TV apps.

To OP.. go with Anthem! I may be biased as I’ve owned their products since the original MRX came out. With the new Anthem Room Correction software after you take your measurements you email Anthem support a copy of the file and they will fine tune it for you, send it back and you upload it for perfection. Anthem has outstanding customer service, what other AVR company does that?
    Anthem has reviewed and provided suggestions to ARC measurements for some time (with ARC1 and ARC2).

I heard that MRX xx40 rumor also. There were prototype pictures posted, at one time, on another forum. Similar in looks to the STR models. Personally, not a big fan of the STR looks.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I heard that MRX xx40 rumor also. There were prototype pictures posted, at one time, on another forum. Similar in looks to the STR models. Personally, not a big fan of the STR looks.
    Can you post a link to the prototype pics? I actually like the STR look.
    -curtis

Hi Curtis.
    Took me a while to find where I saw it. It was in the thread below but was removed. There is a link towards end of thread to an Israeli site which had the picture (at least a few days ago). I just checked and didn't see it (and I don't read Hebrew); you may want to double check in case it was a browser issue on my end.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...ew-lineup.html

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post

I don't know...I tried but I couldn't get any audio through the eArc assigned HDMI from
    display to avr.

By all accounts...I'm not enjoying Audyssey otherwise...I do like the unit. I'm still debating if the Audyssey App...would be worthwhile....seems sort of buggy from some of my research.

The Anthem gave me separate filters and setting for HT and music. With Audyssey it seems any changes I make I must go back and turn on Audyssey EQ for movies... it's a pita.
    Last edited by billy p; 04-03-2020 at 12:51 PM.
    Speakers 5.1.2: TitanTowers v2 & STC(RAAL v2), MA CP-WT&CT260
    Sub: Funk Audio 18.0 SantosRW

Source: Denon X3800H, Oppo BDP 103D, UBK-90 4K & LG B9 65"
    Office 2.0: Philharmonic True Mini(coming-soon), Fosi TB10D via Wiim mini.