Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found new speaker feet for Sierra Towers and hardwood/tile floors

Cool Found new speaker feet for Sierra Towers and hardwood/tile floors

After an exhaustive search I found some really nice speaker feet that work great on the Sierra Towers. If you’re like me, and have hardwood floors and/or need to move the speakers to access equipment, you may also find the standard floor spikes/discs beautiful, but incredibly inconvenient.

https://www.mcmaster.com/9541k83

These are very similar to the feet that came with my old B&W 683 S2s, which I found to be very functional and convenient. The rubber part on the B&W feet is slightly harder, which I think is better, but this is as close as I could find. I wasn’t able to upload pics here, but you can see them here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59381432

The McMaster-Carr site is strange in that you have to input payment info and complete the purchase, but are never advised of shipping charges. You can also order by phone, and then you should get all the shipping details. A 10 pack cost me $18.08 delivered, $10.43 for the ‘threaded-stud bumpers’ and the remainder was shipping.
    Last edited by John Galt; 03-17-2020 at 02:41 PM.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Default Re: Found new speaker feet for Sierra Towers and hardwood/tile floors

Nice, although I think I prefer the felt feet Dave had recommended. In my house, the felt feet are more likely to slide across a hard floor reducing the potential for tipping if one of the dogs accidentally bumps into a speaker. Grippy 70A rubber feet are less likely to slide making the tower more prone to tipping over. Something for people with kids and/or dogs to keep in mind.

I may order a set of those just to try out...but they just look so cheap and ugly I was loathe to put them on. From my seating position I think they would be clearly visible and obvious. These black threaded-stud bumpers are pretty much invisible...just looks like the speaker is floating 1/2” off the floor.
    Last edited by John Galt; 03-18-2020 at 07:26 AM.
    3.2, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers with RAAL ribbon tweeters and $20 McMaster ‘threaded-stud bumper feet’, Ascend Acoustics Duo LCR center, dual SVS SB-3000 subs, Outlaw 2200 monoblocks, Denon X3500H

Having hardwood floors, I also moved away from the spikes. I'm using the Isoacoustics GAIA in place of the spikes. More costly than the options above but do help with vibration control. The other thing I like about them is the "suction" cup bottom - they "stick" the speaker to the floor. Not too difficult to unstick if need to move the speakers (eg pop it loose to move -- can put playing cards underneath to slide if don't want to lift / pivot the speaker.

https://isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Having hardwood floors, I also moved away from the spikes. I'm using the Isoacoustics GAIA in place of the spikes. More costly than the options above but do help with vibration control. The other thing I like about them is the "suction" cup bottom - they "stick" the speaker to the floor. Not too difficult to unstick if need to move the speakers (eg pop it loose to move -- can put playing cards underneath to slide if don't want to lift / pivot the speaker.

Wow, those are some fancy feet!

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    Nice, although I think I prefer the felt feet Dave had recommended. In my house, the felt feet are more likely to slide across a hard floor reducing the potential for tipping if one of the dogs accidentally bumps into a speaker. Grippy 70A rubber feet are less likely to slide making the tower more prone to tipping over. Something for people with kids and/or dogs to keep in mind.
    Do you happen to have a link to the felt feet recommended by Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post

Do you find those actually improve the sound considerably? And do you use the Gaia 3s?

Quote Originally Posted by Mjt8 View Post
    Do you find those actually improve the sound considerably? And do you use the Gaia 3s?
    Yes, I used the Gaia III's. I installed the Gaia's the same day I got the Towers, so I personally can't really say if there is an improvement over the spikes. Before buying them, I did read on another forum (the VPI forum) that they did help.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjt8 View Post
    I’d love to hear Dave Fabrikant’s opinion on how much or little speaker feet can affect the sound quality of speakers like the Sierra RAAL Tower. I know that he has recommended <$20 felt feet for the Sierra Towers for those who don’t find the spikes enjoyable in their hard floor environment.

I’ve searched for reviews on the GAIA products and have found overwhelmingly positive, and almost unbelievable comments...but I’m still very skeptical that they are capable of making a significant difference in sound. I’ve yet to come across any REW type measurements showing any data to support the claims.

If isolating the speakers from the floor is the goal, I wonder if the <$20 rubber feet I found (or Dave’s recommenced felt feet from Amazon), which were the genesis of this thread, are accomplishing the wonders that a minimum $400 set accomplishes. I can’t tell any difference between my new rubber feet and the spikes and discs that came with the towers on my hardwood floors, but I’d really appreciate hearing the opinions of experts...and would really like to see some data to support the fact that there are any noticeable changes.
    Last edited by John Galt; 04-12-2020 at 03:44 PM.