Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the audio world... considering moving from ELAC uni fi to ascend

Default Re: New to the audio world... considering moving from ELAC uni fi to ascend

I had a chance to listen to the EXs recently. Incredible bass from a bookie. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set instead of the towers, the low end is that close. That said, funds permitting I would go towers in the front, and EXs for surround and multi channel music duties.

Default Re: New to the audio world... considering moving from ELAC uni fi to ascend

Mjt8! Whad'ja do? Where'd he go? I wanna hear the end of the story!

I own both the RAAL Towers and UB5 bookshelves. I agree that the UB5 are a darker speaker without eq. The highs are definitely rolled off. With the RAAL towers they don't need that bump in the highs to sound right. They are not bright at all either. They have a nice balanced sound. I think you'll be happy if you make the change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjt8 View Post
    So I just tried out the Klipsch rp8000f. I didn’t care for them at all. The treble is definitely kind of shrill. The “s” sound in vocals was magnified and they sounded very metallic to my ears. I don’t think I’m a fan of horns.
    My current fronts are Klipsch RP-280fs, which are the predecessor to the RP-8000fs and there is not much difference from what I can tell. I have really enjoyed them, but I can confirm to you that they can be bright in the upper end....almost harsh at times, especially to my aging ears (pushing 60). That is why I am upgrading to the Sierra Towers w/Raal. They will arrive in just a couple days. Can't wait!

Hey, still here! I’m in talks with Dave, and he suggested the towers with RAAL are going to be my best bet. So I’m going to take a bit of a risk and order them.

For those interested (and those coming after me) I’ve tried a number of other speakers.

Focal Aria 948: I actually ordered the 926’s but got these by mistake! These are truly stunning speakers. Objectively, they have highest quality sound I’ve heard so far. Theyre absolutely crystal clear, and the highs are very sweet. However, I think it’s obvious these were designed for large spaces and distant listening positions. They sound kind of thin at low volumes.

Def tech 9060: after a trip to bestbuy I decided to try these. The active powered woofers provide lots of bass, but that bass is kind of smeared and poorly synced with the rest of the sound signature. These sound decent at low volume to my ears, but the small drivers show their limits when you try to turn them up. Also these speakers, the upper range isn’t particularly exciting.

B&W 607: these were my least favorite speaker by far. They sounded anemic, tinny, and artificial. To me, they had all the flaws of the ELACS with none of the positives.

The only speakers that have delivered that texture have still been the Martin Logans, so I’ve ordered a few more speakers With AMT tweeters and I’ll have the final shootout between them and the sierras. (Final because the wife is pretty over this little speaker adventure lol)

The three speakers are going to be:

ELAC Carina towers
    Tannoy revolution xt6f
    Dali Opticon

Awesome, would love to hear your impressions!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybeez View Post
    I had a chance to listen to the EXs recently. Incredible bass from a bookie. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set instead of the towers, the low end is that close. That said, funds permitting I would go towers in the front, and EXs for surround and multi channel music duties.
    This is what I just did when WFH forced my EXs out of my work office and into my HT. I’ve been buying and loving 5.1 SACDs and DVDA discs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mjt8 View Post
    Hey, still here! I’m in talks with Dave, and he suggested the towers with RAAL are going to be my best bet. So I’m going to take a bit of a risk and order them.

For those interested (and those coming after me) I’ve tried a number of other speakers.

Focal Aria 948: I actually ordered the 926’s but got these by mistake! These are truly stunning speakers. Objectively, they have highest quality sound I’ve heard so far. Theyre absolutely crystal clear, and the highs are very sweet. However, I think it’s obvious these were designed for large spaces and distant listening positions. They sound kind of thin at low volumes.

Def tech 9060: after a trip to bestbuy I decided to try these. The active powered woofers provide lots of bass, but that bass is kind of smeared and poorly synced with the rest of the sound signature. These sound decent at low volume to my ears, but the small drivers show their limits when you try to turn them up. Also these speakers, the upper range isn’t particularly exciting.

B&W 607: these were my least favorite speaker by far. They sounded anemic, tinny, and artificial. To me, they had all the flaws of the ELACS with none of the positives.

The only speakers that have delivered that texture have still been the Martin Logans, so I’ve ordered a few more speakers With AMT tweeters and I’ll have the final shootout between them and the sierras. (Final because the wife is pretty over this little speaker adventure lol)

The three speakers are going to be:

ELAC Carina towers
    Tannoy revolution xt6f
    Dali Opticon
    Hoping to hear the conclusions, also dissatisfied with my UB5 and am looking at other optiosn for the front and put them as rears for now. Carina and Sierra 2EX are definitely on the list so would love to hear how this played out.

Perhaps you might try some other source electronics before blaming it all on the speakers. Yes, speakers should be where most of the money is spent, but that Denon may be holding some things back. Worth trying, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by Qman View Post
    Perhaps you might try some other source electronics before blaming it all on the speakers. Yes, speakers should be where most of the money is spent, but that Denon may be holding some things back. Worth trying, I'd say.
    I'll argue against this....

True, better/different electronics can have an effect on the sound, however, those effects will be subtle changes to the basic character of the speaker's overall sonic signature. You want to find a speaker that has the basic flavor you like, then you can start messing with the upper food chain.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables