Thread: Need advice: Sierra-2EX or Sierra Tower for my bed room

Default Need advice: Sierra-2EX or Sierra Tower for my bed room

Hi All,

Would like to get advice from everyone here. I am currently trying to upgrade my Sony SS-X90ED Floorstanding speakers and have read a few popular forum been talking about Ascend acoustics speakers. This makes interested to try the speakers even thou I not staying in USA (I'm staying in Singapore). I am just wondering whether Sierra-2EX or Sierra Tower is more suitable for me even thou i'm currently using a floorstanding speakers now.

Following are the information of my bed room and current speakers placement:

Current setup (2.0 channel):
    Room Dimension = 16.5ft(L) x 9.8ft(W) x 9.1ft(H)
    Speaker Placement= Centre of the 16.5ft wall
    Speaker distance from wall = 10 inch
    Speaker distance from each other = 5.2ft
    Listening distance from speakers= 8.2
    Usage= 80% Movie, 20% Music
    Speaker = Sony SS-X90ED Floorstanding
    Preprocessor = Emotiva XMC-1
    Amplifier = Nord one up NC500DM

I tried to draw out my room item placement and hope it helps. Since i will be using it to play movies in 2.0 channel configuration, which one will have a clearer movie dialogue. Thanks All.

MyRoom1.jpg

Default Re: Need advice: Sierra-2EX or Sierra Tower for my bed room

Any thought of adding a center channel. The Luna Duo is relatively small and an excellent center channel. I use this now, moving from an S2 Center. Dialogue is better with the Duo, IMO.

If staying with 2.0, I think either would work well in your setup from what I've read (I've not heard the EX's but do have the Towers - moved from S2's.. I'm mostly music, though). Probably a lot less expensive to ship the EX's then the Towers, so that may have some bearing on your choice.

Love Singapore -- great place. Been there a few times for work -- hope to get there again soon!

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Any thought of adding a center channel. The Luna Duo is relatively small and an excellent center channel. I use this now, moving from an S2 Center. Dialogue is better with the Duo, IMO.

If staying with 2.0, I think either would work well in your setup from what I've read (I've not heard the EX's but do have the Towers - moved from S2's.. I'm mostly music, though). Probably a lot less expensive to ship the EX's then the Towers, so that may have some bearing on your choice.

Love Singapore -- great place. Been there a few times for work -- hope to get there again soon!
    I might add a center speaker at a later stage as currently there is no space for me to add a center speaker below my wall mounted TV (AV rack below the TV). So i have to research whether placing it on top of current TV works or not.

Guess i need to email to ask sales team what are the shipping charges for both of the model. Hopefully the tower charge are not very expensive.

Avoid coming here when virus is still around.
    Last edited by jonk; 02-23-2020 at 06:10 AM.

No plans until the coronavirus is gone! Already canceled my trip to Shanghai until later time. Stay safe!

Having heard both, I can say the the RAAL version of the Tower is a better overall speaker than the EX. This is particularly evident in the midrange. The EX is amazing, but it's still a two-way.

The real question, IMO, is whether the difference in performance is worth the difference in price. Lowest price for EXs: $1648 + shipping. Lowest price for RAAL Towers: $2898 + shipping. Shipping internationally probably doesn't help this. So we're talking something not too far from double the price.

So, if your goal is the best sound and you're not particularly price-sensitive, I'd get the Towers. I will probably eventually get a pair myself, but no hurry there. We'll see what Dave and the rest of the market cook up over the next few years.

But if you're willing to sacrifice a little performance to cut the price almost in half, it's hard not to just go with the EXs. I would argue the EXs are one of the best deals in audio today (the on-sale S1 is way up there, too). Crazy good, not expensive—that's a combo that's hard to beat.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

Quote Originally Posted by SunByrne View Post
    Having heard both, I can say the the RAAL version of the Tower is a better overall speaker than the EX. This is particularly evident in the midrange. The EX is amazing, but it's still a two-way.

The real question, IMO, is whether the difference in performance is worth the difference in price. Lowest price for EXs: $1648 + shipping. Lowest price for RAAL Towers: $2898 + shipping. Shipping internationally probably doesn't help this. So we're talking something not too far from double the price.

So, if your goal is the best sound and you're not particularly price-sensitive, I'd get the Towers. I will probably eventually get a pair myself, but no hurry there. We'll see what Dave and the rest of the market cook up over the next few years.

But if you're willing to sacrifice a little performance to cut the price almost in half, it's hard not to just go with the EXs. I would argue the EXs are one of the best deals in audio today (the on-sale S1 is way up there, too). Crazy good, not expensive—that's a combo that's hard to beat.
    Thanks for the feedback on your listening experience with both of the speakers. You are right that the tower version might be almost double the price of the bookshelf speakers when shipping charges are added in. I need to convince myself which is more worth it to get.

Also, hopefully Dave might introduce a new tower speaker soon since the Sierra 2 has been upgraded to Sierra-2EX last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jonk View Post
    Also, hopefully Dave might introduce a new tower speaker soon since the Sierra 2 has been upgraded to Sierra-2EX last year.
    No plans for this at this point in time. Our Ribbon Towers continue to be a top seller for us.

That said, for your room - while the towers are the overall better speaker, when you factor in shipping expenses, I am thinking a pair of Sierra-2EX for left/right and Duo center would be perfect!
    Last edited by davef; 02-24-2020 at 11:34 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    No plans for this at this point in time. Our Ribbon Towers continue to be a top seller for us.

That said, for your room - while the towers are the overall better speaker, when you factor in shipping expenses, I am thinking a pair of Sierra-2EX for left/right and Duo center would be perfect!
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your answer and suggestion.

Yes, I do have the intention to add on a center channel speaker and most probably a 3.0.2 configuration in near future (I am not really a bass emphasis person unless I can get a small size subwoofer that can produce good bass). However due to my current TV and audio rack placement, the only way I can place it is above my current TV, is this feasible? By saying this, I guess I need to get a multichannel amplifier as my current amp is just a 2 channel amplifier.

by the way, i did send you a private message asking about shipping and warranty question. should i just send the question to the sales team email instead. Thanks.