Thread: Dynamic range

Default Dynamic range

New member here, and my first post. My question is for those who have heard both the CMT-340 SE Mains and the Sierra-2EX. I’m wondering about the dynamic range of both speakers. Obviously the 2EX has a much better driver than the 340, but is the dynamic range of the single 2EX driver better than the two drivers combined in the 340?

Default Re: Dynamic range

Quote Originally Posted by Dain41 View Post
    New member here, and my first post. My question is for those who have heard both the CMT-340 SE Mains and the Sierra-2EX. I’m wondering about the dynamic range of both speakers. Obviously the 2EX has a much better driver than the 340, but is the dynamic range of the single 2EX driver better than the two drivers combined in the 340?
    If you define dynamics as the difference between the lowest and loudest audible sound - than the 340 has the advantage due to having the ability to simply play louder. That said, the Sierra-2EX sounds more dynamic because the speaker has far superior transient accuracy and bass extension - there is more punch - a more visceral feel to the music.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks David. I guess a better way to describe what I'm after would be similar to, say, a clash of cymbals. Some speakers would only play back the sound of the symbols in a rather unremarkable way. While others may actually startle you with the sudden explosion of sound. You're saying the 2EX would be the better of the two, correct? I thought maybe the 340 would be better because it has twice the driver area even though the drivers aren't as good. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dain41 View Post
    Thanks David. I guess a better way to describe what I'm after would be similar to, say, a clash of cymbals. Some speakers would only play back the sound of the symbols in a rather unremarkable way. While others may actually startle you with the sudden explosion of sound. You're saying the 2EX would be the better of the two, correct? I thought maybe the 340 would be better because it has twice the driver area even though the drivers aren't as good. Thanks again.
    A cymbal crash would be handled strictly by the tweeter. In which case, you would want the most accurate transient response. In comparison between the 340 and Sierra-2EX, the Sierra-2EX wins hands down.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com