Thread: S1, Luna, S2's for music listening in a small room

Default S1, Luna, S2's for music listening in a small room

All -

Just trying to get some basic guidance here. I've been looking to upgrade from a pair of Audioengine A5+ for a few years now and am at the point where I can pull the trigger soon. I'll be moving into a new place and am looking for the best Ascend speakers for my situation.

Specifically, what should I focus on for music-only listening (primarily vinyl, some streaming) and recording (scratch bass guitar) from the Ascend catalog? I will likely be in an enclosed 11'x11' room, probably not a dedicated music listening space but rather a multi-use home office. it will be an apartment and I am not planning on needing a sub so that the neighbors won't have that extra reason to hate me.

I listen to new wave/post punk, shoegaze, cool jazz and romantic-era classical primarily, if that helps. I do like audible bass and good mids, but likely won't be listening at a very high volume.

I have been looking at the Sierra-2s for years, but now wonder if the Lunas might be better for my situation, or if the Sierra 1 NRT speakers might be better for the type of listening I will be doing. Any feedback would be helpful!

Default Re: S1, Luna, S2's for music listening in a small room

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazebass View Post
    All -

Just trying to get some basic guidance here. I've been looking to upgrade from a pair of Audioengine A5+ for a few years now and am at the point where I can pull the trigger soon. I'll be moving into a new place and am looking for the best Ascend speakers for my situation.

Specifically, what should I focus on for music-only listening (primarily vinyl, some streaming) and recording (scratch bass guitar) from the Ascend catalog? I will likely be in an enclosed 11'x11' room, probably not a dedicated music listening space but rather a multi-use home office. it will be an apartment and I am not planning on needing a sub so that the neighbors won't have that extra reason to hate me.

I listen to new wave/post punk, shoegaze, cool jazz and romantic-era classical primarily, if that helps. I do like audible bass and good mids, but likely won't be listening at a very high volume.

I have been looking at the Sierra-2s for years, but now wonder if the Lunas might be better for my situation, or if the Sierra 1 NRT speakers might be better for the type of listening I will be doing. Any feedback would be helpful!
    Welcome to our forum!

Since you don't plan on using a subwoofer, the Luna's are definitely not a good option as they are very small speakers and really need to be used with a subwoofer. Since you have been looking at our Sierra-2 for a while now, I strongly recommend going with our new Sierra-2EX which basically improve upon every performance aspect of the Sierra-2. the bass of the Sierra-2EX is rather remarkable and in your size room, you will definitely not need a subwoofer with these speakers.

Please feel free to contact us directly.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave - Thanks for reaching out and confirming some things for me. I will focus on the EXs then!

Oooh, a fellow bassist.

My study is about 9.5' by 11', so a little smaller than yours. Had I gotten here first, I would have told you pretty much what Dave said: Lunas will need a sub, best choice would be S2-EX.

I have a pair of S2-EX in there and they are excellent. I had S1 NrTs in there for years and they are also excellent speakers, but not in the same league as the EXs. Now, the S1-NrTs are substantially cheaper, especially since the S1s are on sale right now, so if you are on a tighter budget they are a terrific option. I would avoid the S2s—not because they aren't good, but because if you're going to spring for S2s, you might as well go straight for the EXs, especially if you're not running a sub.
    Luna Duo V2 LR, Titan Horizon V2, and Rythmik L22 & L12 in HT, Sierra-LXs in study, S-2EXs and Duo V2 C in bedroom, S-1 NrTs in dining room, S-1s at work, HTM-200s in kitchen. Brother owns CMT-340s and dad has a pair of CBM-170s.

I have a pair of S2EXs in my office - no sub and don’t miss it. Really impressive extension. Love ‘em.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazebass View Post
    Dave - Thanks for reaching out and confirming some things for me. I will focus on the EXs then!
    Very welcome!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com