Thread: Single wiring - woofer input, tweeter input, or one each?

Default Single wiring - woofer input, tweeter input, or one each?

Ok guys - been dying to ask this question for a while now. I was going to just email Ascend directly, but thought that perhaps there may be other Ascend owners out there who may be interested.

I am running all my Ascends with single 10AWG wire from Blue Jeans. Of course the 170's only have the one set of binding posts so there is no issue there. What of the 340's though? I currently am using the Woofer binding posts and there's nothing at all wrong with the sound, but lately I've seen some pictures of speakers (not Ascends) where the owners are plugging in their single wire to the tweeter posts. I've also read on a speaker mfg's site (I believe it was Jamo) that said there may be sonic improvement to using the negative woofer post and the positive tweeter post (or vice versa). My guess is there would be no sonic benefit no matter which way you try it. I haven't tried it yet myself for fear of possibly damaging the speaker (or my amp) - though I can't see how since the jumpers are in place - you just never know I guess!

So, if anyone has any thoughts on this - I'd love to read them.

Thanks!!

I'm thinking that one would have to really have a "magical ear" to discern any difference between the connection options stated...but I am interested in what others have to say also.

Randy

On my 340 mains and center, I use Canare 4S11 cable. It is 4 conductor cable, so I tried bi-wiring and wiring them using just one set of inputs. I couldn't tell any difference either way.
    - EVH III

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    On my 340 mains and center, I use Canare 4S11 cable. It is 4 conductor cable, so I tried bi-wiring and wiring them using just one set of inputs. I couldn't tell any difference either way.
    I am using the same stuff as Eddie.....and had the same experience.

Kpt.....10awg?? That has got to be thick and heavy!!
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch
    Ok guys - been dying to ask this question for a while now. I was going to just email Ascend directly, but thought that perhaps there may be other Ascend owners out there who may be interested.

I am running all my Ascends with single 10AWG wire from Blue Jeans. Of course the 170's only have the one set of binding posts so there is no issue there. What of the 340's though? I currently am using the Woofer binding posts and there's nothing at all wrong with the sound, but lately I've seen some pictures of speakers (not Ascends) where the owners are plugging in their single wire to the tweeter posts. I've also read on a speaker mfg's site (I believe it was Jamo) that said there may be sonic improvement to using the negative woofer post and the positive tweeter post (or vice versa). My guess is there would be no sonic benefit no matter which way you try it. I haven't tried it yet myself for fear of possibly damaging the speaker (or my amp) - though I can't see how since the jumpers are in place - you just never know I guess!

So, if anyone has any thoughts on this - I'd love to read them.

Thanks!!
    I will chime in and keep it simple. Dave may have some more input on this. As long as the jumpers are in place between the woofer and tweeter binding posts on the CMT-340, it makes no difference which you go into. As far as doing the (+)woofer and (-)tweeter or vice-versa, I will have to abstain.
    Good Sound to You!

James Greenberg
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I use the Canare 4S11 from Blue Jeans as well, but I use it for bi-amping the 340's (Pioneer 1014tx). There isn't that much difference, but its noticable.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I am using the same stuff as Eddie.....and had the same experience.

Kpt.....10awg?? That has got to be thick and heavy!!

Yeah - it's pretty tough to twist it once you've stripped it, and it is not all that flexible (you need to strip quite a bit of the jacket off). For the price (the 10AWG delivered to me was cheaper than than 12 AWG from Ratshack locally believe it or not) I went my motto "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Kpt, that's the ultimate manly motto.
    - EVH III

Two other faves:

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

"A stitch in time saves nine."

And on a different note:

"Women--can't live with them... Pass the beer nuts." Norm (Cheers)
    Good Sound to You!

James Greenberg
    www.ascendacoustics.com

i just left the jumpers in place on my center. i figure it'll leave room for tinkering later when i have the urge.