Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HT Upgrade - Have Sierra-1s with ELAC Center - Get 2EX Kit or Sierra Horizon Center

Default HT Upgrade - Have Sierra-1s with ELAC Center - Get 2EX Kit or Sierra Horizon Center

Hi.

I have Sierra-1s with an ELAC B6.2 center. In addition to HT, I listen to music in surround sound with my Denon X-3500 but I also listen in stereo (w/Rythmik L12 sub). What I have sounds pretty good but I would like to improve on it.

What will improve my sound more. An upgrade to the Sierra-2EX kit or replacing my ELAC center with the Sierra Horizon (non-RAAL)?

I listen to surround more than stereo and my wife likes surround for Spotify music.

Thanks...Alan
    Last edited by ahender; 02-18-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Default Re: HT Upgrade - Have Sierra-1s with ELAC Center - Get 2EX Kit or Sierra Horizon Cent

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    Hi.

I have Sierra-1s with an ELAC B6.2 center. In addition to HT, I listen to music in surround sound with my Denon X-3500 but I also listen in stereo (w/Rythmik L12 sub). What I have sounds pretty good but I would like to improve on it.

What will improve my sound more. An upgrade to the Sierra-2EX kit or replacing my ELAC center with the Sierra Horizon (non-RAAL)?

I listen to surround more than stereo and my wife likes surround for Spotify music.

Thanks...Alan
    Hi Alan,

Quick question, what is higher priority, music listening or movies?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Default Re: HT Upgrade - Have Sierra-1s with ELAC Center - Get 2EX Kit or Sierra Horizon Cent

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Hi Alan,

Quick question, what is higher priority, music listening or movies?
    Thank you for replying.

Music is the priority. I do like listening to music in surround mode, in addition to 2.1. The volume level for both music and movies is moderate -- rarely higher than 50dB. Since I do not listen at a loud volume, are there major advantages to the Horizon plus Sierra-2EX compared to the Sierra Duo LCR?

My initial plan is to spend ~$1000. Down the road, I would like to upgrade all LCR speakers.

Just ordered 2 Sierra-2s, 1 2EX, and 2 CBM-170s. I'm done with my speaker journey, for now...

Just ordered 2 Sierra-2s, 1 2EX, and 2 CBM-170s. I'm done with my speaker journey, for now...
    Will you upgrade the 2’s to EX’s later??
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Will you upgrade the 2’s to EX’s later??
    Not sure. The Sierra-2s I purchased are B-stock with a very nice discount. Upgrading via the kit will add some cost. Not sure my old ears would be able to tell the difference between the two speakers. I'll try to test it out on a single speaker when I get them. I'm happy my front three will now have RAAL.

Not sure. The Sierra-2s I purchased are B-stock with a very nice discount. Upgrading via the kit will add some cost. Not sure my old ears would be able to tell the difference between the two speakers. I'll try to test it out on a single speaker when I get them. I'm happy my front three will now have RAAL.
    The single 2EX would be the center?
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    The single 2EX would be the center?
    Yes. I'm going to use it vertically.

The 2's sound excellent. You'll love the upgrade. There is a much bigger jump going from Sierra-1's to 2's, then from 2's to 2-EX's...in my opinion. Since you'll have both, you can compare them and decide yourself.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    The 2's sound excellent. You'll love the upgrade. There is a much bigger jump going from Sierra-1's to 2's, then from 2's to 2-EX's...in my opinion. Since you'll have both, you can compare them and decide yourself.
    Thanks Nate. Now I am second guessing myself. Dang it!

Options:

(2) Sierra-2 + (1) Sierra-2EX (Vertical Orientation) = $1976

(2) Sierra-2 + Horizon (Non-RAAL) = $2236

(3) Sierra Duo LCR = $2386

The last two combinations are obviously more expensive.

In this post, Dave states: (http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...-Horizon/page5)

"This depends. The Duo center only becomes the better center channel option compared to the Sierra-2/2EX if using a subwoofer and if the Sierra-2/2EX can only be positioned horizontally. If no sub, or if the S2 center can be placed vertically - it is not the better center.

"No, in all circumstances unless on-wall mounting or space constraints - the Sierra-2/2EX is the better left right speaker. Typical center speaker placement dictates major compromises in performance due to a variety of issues (reflections, dispersion, baffle compensation, bass reinforcement) and the Duo, with its symmetrical horizontal and vertical dispersion, leads to more intelligible dialogue in typical installations. That said, the Duo as LCR is fantastic - especially as an on-wall speaker, but with typical left/right placement (stands etc.) - Sierra-2/2EX is superior."

Since I have a sub (Rythmik L12), I interpret his quote as the (2) Sierra-2 and (1) Sierra-2EX (Vertical) will sound better than (3) Sierra Duo LCR.

The quesion I have is will the combination (2) Sierra-2 and (1) Sierra Horizon (non-RAAL) sound better than (2) Sierra-2 and (1) Sierra-2EX (Vertical)?

The price difference is $260 for the Horizon combination.