Thread: How to Troubleshoot a dead Sierra-1 Speaker?

Question How to Troubleshoot a dead Sierra-1 Speaker?

Purchased a pair of Sierra-1 speakers last month and they had been working great.

Woke up yesterday and one of them just stopped producing any sound. Confirmed that it is in fact the one speaker and not another part of the larger setup. Switching the L/R speakers confirmed that.

I can't see any physical issues, but honestly wouldn't expect there to be as it's just my wife and I without kids and haven't touched the speakers since setup a few weeks ago. Spent about 30min originally thinking it had to be my older Denon AVR-S710W somehow (settings changed or an issue), but nope - it's the one speaker.

Default Re: How to Troubleshoot a dead Sierra-1 Speaker?

1st thing.... Remove the drivers. Simply remove the screws fastening them to the cabinet. Verify that the lead wires from the crossover are securely connected to the 2 terminals on each driver. If any are loose, reconnect and try playing the speaker. If you have sound then that's all it was. If the lead wires are all attached when you remove the driver, remove the lead wires from the terminals. Now, you can try holding the speaker wires from your Denon to the terminals and play something at low volume to see if the driver produces sound. Do this for the woofer and tweeter. If they produce sound directly connected to the speaker wires then it's probably the crossover.

Give Ascend a call and they can guide you as well.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default Re: How to Troubleshoot a dead Sierra-1 Speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by atl_sound View Post
    Purchased a pair of Sierra-1 speakers last month and they had been working great.

Woke up yesterday and one of them just stopped producing any sound. Confirmed that it is in fact the one speaker and not another part of the larger setup. Switching the L/R speakers confirmed that.

I can't see any physical issues, but honestly wouldn't expect there to be as it's just my wife and I without kids and haven't touched the speakers since setup a few weeks ago. Spent about 30min originally thinking it had to be my older Denon AVR-S710W somehow (settings changed or an issue), but nope - it's the one speaker.
    This is really odd -- no sound at all out of either the tweeter or the woofer? Please give us a call at the office, thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com