Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which LCR Combo for My HT Room?

Default Which LCR Combo for My HT Room?

Hi all. First post here and I'm still a novice at this stuff, so please take it easy on me.

I have a non-dedicated room that is 12.5' wide (scope projector screen wall) and about 19' long with 9' ceilings and hardwood floors. I sit about 13.5' back and my ears are about 35" to 38" from the floor while sitting on the couch. We do not listen at super loud levels, but we do like cranking it up for blockbuster movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Marvel, etc. Our viewing is almost 100% movies and TV series.

I am currently running in-wall speakers as my LCR and in-wall and in-ceiling variants for my side and rear surrounds. I have been sorely missing out on low end with my older 10" sub, so I just purchased two HSU 12" subs to assist with the low end.

If I were to move away from in-wall speakers for my front three LCR, what would you recommend that I consider given my aesthetic preferences, room situation, and listening habits (no or very little music in this room)? Based on my research, I believe the Duo would be the best center for me but not sure about the left and right and also open to other suggestions please.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Default Re: Which LCR Combo for My HT Room?

Budget?

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Budget?
    I would like to stay at or below $3,000, if possible. I could go a little higher if necessary. Thanks!

For about $3,400 shipped you could do towers and a Horizon with the NRT tweeter. That would make for a great LCR. 13.5’ seating distance is a little ways back. What are you powering everything with?

I have never heard the 340’s but they are supposed to be great for home theater and are efficient. Much cheaper pricing as well.
    Last edited by diesel79; 02-17-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    For about $3,400 shipped you could do towers and a Horizon with the NRT tweeter. That would make for a great LCR. 13.5’ seating distance is a little ways back. What are you powering everything with?

I have never heard the 340’s but they are supposed to be great for home theater and are efficient. Much cheaper pricing as well.
    Thank you. I have a Denon x4500 to power everything. I do love the towers, but that does stretch the budget a little. However, especially given my seating distance, I’m wondering if those would be the best choice.

I was thinking about the Sierra 2 ex along with the duo for the center, but I wasn’t sure whether those were the best choice for my room and seating distance. I’ll have two 12” subs to help with the low end.

I have the Sierra 2EX’s and a Horizon w/RAAL center. I sit about 11-12’ back and I’m in a large open floor plan. This setup gets pretty loud, I limit my volume to -10 and run my subs +8db hot and it is about as loud as I would need it be. Most of my listening is at -20 to -30. I use a Monolith 7X (200x7) to power my 5 channels.

The towers/horizon are quite a bit more efficient than the EX’s so depending on just how loud you go the towers might be better when ran off the Denon especially at 13’ back. The 340’s are also spec’d for 92db in room sensitivity.
    Last edited by diesel79; 02-17-2020 at 06:36 PM.

I was thinking the same as diesel79 - either the Towers or 340's - for the same reason. The Duo is a great center (full disclosure - I use this for my center, along with Towers w/ RAAL for my LR).

Thanks, guys.

This may sound silly, but I want these to look "nice" and I'm not sure the 340's give me that.

Regarding the towers, they are pushing the height limit that I want and may, in fact, be too tall. I have a scope screen that fills the width of my wall, and I don't want to force the screen too high on the wall towards the ceiling. Given my ceiling height of 108"/9', the tower would essentially be 39.5" tall (after overlapping the screen frame/bezel which is 3.5" thick), the top of my screen would be 102.5" high (leaving me with 7.5" from the ceiling) and the top of the actual image would be 99" high (again subtracting 3.5" for the frame/bezel). That might still work although a little higher than I would like.

I get it on the looks department. The bamboo cabinets are stunning. I have the USA made cabinets in the natural finish and they are very very nice.

3 Horizons would be sweet too if you have placement options. That’s what I will have eventually as my wife doesn’t like speakers and I can have a custom built in cabinet house the Horizons.

Depending on how loud you listen the Duo or Sierra bookshelf’s might just be perfect. Do you have an SPL meter? As I mentioned above I limit my volume to -10 master volume which equates to 75db average and 95db peaks (speaker channels) and that is pretty dang loud. At my seating distance and the 86db efficiency of the EX’s this is a safe zone for what my amp can supply without clipping. With REW I recorded 110db peaks on some more action/bass heavy movies. I have dual Rythmik FV18’s too so they account for the big DB’s.
    Last edited by diesel79; 02-18-2020 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    I get it on the looks department. The bamboo cabinets are stunning. I have the USA made cabinets in the natural finish and they are very very nice.

3 Horizons would be sweet too if you have placement options. That’s what I will have eventually as my wife doesn’t like speakers and I can have a custom built in cabinet house the Horizons.

Depending on how loud you listen the Duo or Sierra bookshelf’s might just be perfect. Do you have an SPL meter? As I mentioned above I limit my volume to -10 master volume which equates to 75db average and 95db peaks (speaker channels) and that is pretty dang loud. At my seating distance and the 86db efficiency of the EX’s this is a safe zone for what my amp can supply without clipping. With REW I recorded 110db peaks on some more action/bass heavy movies. I have dual Rythmik FV18’s too so they account for the big DB’s.
    I need to get an SPL meter, but I believe I'm about the same as you regarding loudness or perhaps even less. We usually only crank it up that loud for certain blockbuster movies anyway. I wish the towers were just a little shorter!