Thread: Sierra 2 vs Sierra 2 EX

Default Sierra 2 vs Sierra 2 EX

Hi all,

Newbie here. I am going to buy marantz 7013 and wanted to buy speakers for that. I listen to music and watch movies. right now I have nothing but just tv speakers (tv is old too)

I was recommeded these speakers but I am not sure what the difference is and if its worth upgrade to 2EX instead of buying 2.I plan to set it up as 2.0 setup (can't afford to spend anymore after a receiver and speakers)

I was thinking of buying 2 EX but I would have to pay for shipping it back if i dont like them. Any place I listen to them before I buy them

Default Re: Sierra 2 vs Sierra 2 EX

I owned S2's since they came out (upgraded from the NrT's) and they are amazing speakers.
    I did the EX upgrade to them at Christmas time. Very much worth it in my opinion. If you consider that buying new EX's are only $200 more than the standard S2's vs $736/pair to upgrade from existing S2's to S2-EX's it's a no-brainer.

The fact that you will not be using a sub reinforces that choice as the EX's have tower-like bass.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Without a doubt, get the EX. Depending on where you are located, there may be a forum member nearby who would be willing to let you audition before you purchase. I think you will find that Ascend has very, very few customers who have ever returned a speaker because they didn't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    Without a doubt, get the EX. Depending on where you are located, there may be a forum member nearby who would be willing to let you audition before you purchase. I think you will find that Ascend has very, very few customers who have ever returned a speaker because they didn't like them.
    I am in SF/ Oakland area. How do I find someone who might let me hear them out?

I am looking at B-stock just to get the discounted price if I go with 2EX speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    I owned S2's since they came out (upgraded from the NrT's) and they are amazing speakers.
    I did the EX upgrade to them at Christmas time. Very much worth it in my opinion. If you consider that buying new EX's are only $200 more than the standard S2's vs $736/pair to upgrade from existing S2's to S2-EX's it's a no-brainer.

The fact that you will not be using a sub reinforces that choice as the EX's have tower-like bass.
    I had no idea it would be 736/pair to upgrade. That's quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by darwinn View Post
    I had no idea it would be 736/pair to upgrade. That's quite a bit
    yeas it is, but you are swapping the woofer & crossover in each speaker. I'd imagine the crossovers are very close in cost, but the new SEAS EX woofer is considerably more expensive than the S2 woofer.

In looking at the cost of some of the upgrade kits, for example:

Sierra-1 to Sierra-2 = $408/each
    Sierra-1 to Sierra-2EX= $538/each

That suggests that the EX woofer & crossover cost $130 more per speaker.

Since my Sierra's began life as Sierra-1's prior to any of the available upgrades, it has been more economically feasible for me to simply do the upgrades as they became available.
    Last edited by Mag_Neato; 02-07-2020 at 09:35 AM.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato View Post
    yeas it is, but you are swapping the woofer & crossover in each speaker. I'd imagine the crossovers are very close in cost, but the new SEAS EX woofer is considerably more expensive than the S2 woofer.

In looking at the cost of some of the upgrade kits, for example:

Sierra-1 to Sierra-2 = $408/each
    Sierra-1 to Sierra-2EX= $538/each

That suggests that the EX woofer & crossover cost $130 more per speaker.

Since my Sierra's began life as Sierra-1's prior to any of the available upgrades, it has been more economically feasible for me to simply do the upgrades as they became available.
    This helps me a lot. I am waiting for an email from Ascend to tell me if they have any B-stocks for 2EX so I can buy them. This will be my last speaker purchase for at least few years (never invested so much in audio system also gotta make sure I dont spend all my money on this alone )

Quote Originally Posted by darwinn View Post
    This helps me a lot. I am waiting for an email from Ascend to tell me if they have any B-stocks for 2EX so I can buy them. This will be my last speaker purchase for at least few years (never invested so much in audio system also gotta make sure I dont spend all my money on this alone )
    While all elements of the audio chain are required, the one that makes the greatest difference in sound quality is the speakers. If you can, it is better to get with the best you possibly can, and maybe avoid an upgrade later (which ultimately costs quite a bit more). I have a pair of S2-EX and I recommend them for the size and cost, especially if they are to be used in a 2.0 system, stand-alone, without a subwoofer. You are less likely to want to upgrade them.

See Dave's comment, here:
    http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...2211#post62211
    Last edited by jimb; 02-08-2020 at 01:23 PM.