Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sierra 2 EX kits installed! Brief review and an amp power question

Default New Sierra 2 EX kits installed! Brief review and an amp power question

I bought Sierra 2's last March. I spoke with Dina in December and ordered the EX kits. A special thanks to Dina for her incredible friendly conversations and helpful guidance. She is the voice of Ascend!

Aside from a couple of stubborn terminal connections, the entire kit install went smooth. If you’re thinking about an upgrade, don’t be concerned… if I can do it, you can!

Living in a high-rise APT building, had I ordered a subwoofer, it would not have gone unnoticed! There are unofficial noise restrictions here. But who would ever suspect this little package! Within it where components that would transform the amazing 2's into virtual towers!

I am floored by the incredible dynamic sound that the Sierra 2EX offers. There have been times that the bass extension has astonished me beyond my expectations. High quality movie sound tracks presented articulate and dynamic music that caused my eyes to widen and jaw drop.

Amp question; Would 45 watts per channel be enough for a while til I add an additional amp?

Details;
    The Iotavx SA3 integrated amp is 45 watts into 8 ohms and 90 watts into 4 ohms. I would buy it and then add a second Iotta amp later this year. They can then be bridged to produce 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 180 watts into 4 ohms.
    My listening room is 14 x 17 with an 8 ft ceiling. One side of the room opens up into the dining room and kitchen. This is an additional 15 ft.
    I sit 10 feet away from the speakers.
    I listen at mostly moderate levels approx 70 dBs using a sound pressure meter app.

I am currently using a Harmon Kardon 3490 which has plenty of power. I'm considering the Iotavz SA3 because of its reputed neutral sound and its form factor. If what is being said about them is valid, I am thinking they would ultimately be a great match for the Sierra's once I add the second amp. There are plenty of compelling reviews if anyone is curious about them.

Thanks very much to Dave and Ascend for making these great speakers obtainable to a person like me who loves high-end sound reproduction but does not have a huge budget! I am more than thrilled to own them. The money I spent gives back to me every day!

Default Re: New Sierra 2 EX kits installed! Brief review and an amp power question

45 watts is the minimum recommendation per this website, as you probably have seen. Since you don't listen very loud, you'd probably be ok until you get the second amp. Or, continue using the HK until you've got both amps purchased. I'd probably go the latter route as I do like to turn it up every once in a while.

Default Re: New Sierra 2 EX kits installed! Brief review and an amp power question

Thanks for your reply. I’ll try to swing the two Amps. I’ll just need to see how my finances go in the next month. The HK I have is one of the good ones meaning it works perfectly. They got great reviews except for the ones that didn’t work! They had some QC problems. Since mine is working perfectly and I have the box and remote, I could sell it to help swing the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    45 watts is the minimum recommendation per this website, as you probably have seen. Since you don't listen very loud, you'd probably be ok until you get the second amp. Or, continue using the HK until you've got both amps purchased. I'd probably go the latter route as I do like to turn it up every once in a while.
    Happy to hear that your upgrade went well and your are enjoying the Sierra-2EX. At your listening distance and with 45 watts per channel, you will be able to reach peaks of 95dB, well above your average listening levels.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks very much Dave. If I decide to get just the integrated amp at first, I’ll share my impressions on its performance with the EX 2’s.

Thanks @rifmon and the rest for posting your impressions, and kudos (I think ) for the EX upgrade experience-sharing/encouragement!

I really like the S2's (w/RAALs) as an upgrade to my 5.1 system a few years ago. I replaced the L/R's in my system with the S2's and wow, I was impressed! I had an older Pioneer Elite integrated receiver rated about 135 w/ch. I listen to a lot of 2.1 music, and really like whatever 5.1 music I can get my hands on!

...but I digress...last year, I did a major overhaul of my system...and moved from an integrated receiver to a pre/pro and separate amp. So, I can't speak to changing just one variable, and I don't know how much difference it makes, but my amp is Class D 400 w/ch into 8 ohms...

Not sure if it is the upgraded pre/pro and/or the "ample" supply of power (sorry for the unintended pseudo-pun), and I am not an expert reviewer, but the S2's "breathe" now, "effortlessly". My immediate impressions on the upgrade were significantly increased dynamics even at low levels, with increased sonic detail. It could be a higher quality pre/pro, increased power, better power, or some combination...but personally, I am sold on "there is never too much power" as far as (decent) amps go...within reason, but not limited to the specs of the speakers. Perhaps a quality separate amp with less power would perform just as well, but it's one variable I didn't experience...as they say, YMMV

The only reason I haven't upgraded to the EX yet, is I am soon to go to RAAL Towers for L/R and Horizon C with the S2's "relegated" to surround duty...and do the S2's "need" to be upgraded for surround duty? ...and I know "need" is different than "want"
    Sierra Towers w/RAAL as L/R, Horizon w/RAAL as center, Sierra 2's w/RAAL as L/R surround, Marantz AVR7705, D-Sonic M3a-2800, Oppo BDP-105D, Panasonic UB820

Quote Originally Posted by esnewtunemakers View Post
    The only reason I haven't upgraded to the EX yet, is I am soon to go to RAAL Towers for L/R and Horizon C with the S2's "relegated" to surround duty...and do the S2's "need" to be upgraded for surround duty? ...and I know "need" is different than "want"
    I think the EX upgrade is quite worthwhile for fronts but would be very hard to notice with surrounds
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by esnewtunemakers View Post
    Thanks @rifmon and the rest for posting your impressions, and kudos (I think ) for the EX upgrade experience-sharing/encouragement!

I really like the S2's (w/RAALs) as an upgrade to my 5.1 system a few years ago. I replaced the L/R's in my system with the S2's and wow, I was impressed! I had an older Pioneer Elite integrated receiver rated about 135 w/ch. I listen to a lot of 2.1 music, and really like whatever 5.1 music I can get my hands on!

...but I digress...last year, I did a major overhaul of my system...and moved from an integrated receiver to a pre/pro and separate amp. So, I can't speak to changing just one variable, and I don't know how much difference it makes, but my amp is Class D 400 w/ch into 8 ohms...

Not sure if it is the upgraded pre/pro and/or the "ample" supply of power (sorry for the unintended pseudo-pun), and I am not an expert reviewer, but the S2's "breathe" now, "effortlessly". My immediate impressions on the upgrade were significantly increased dynamics even at low levels, with increased sonic detail. It could be a higher quality pre/pro, increased power, better power, or some combination...but personally, I am sold on "there is never too much power" as far as (decent) amps go...within reason, but not limited to the specs of the speakers. Perhaps a quality separate amp with less power would perform just as well, but it's one variable I didn't experience...as they say, YMMV

Thanks ennewtunmakers for your input. Since I put out my initial inquiry, I've been re thinking my initial direction. I've been monitoring my new sound pressure app and 90% of the time it does not go above 90db. However, I observed higher levels when watching a movie on Amazon. It went over 100db (I think 108).

I get what you're saying about having a lot of power in reserves to drive speakers to their potential. I went to D-Sonic's site. Pretty interesting and it shows what the industry is doing with class D amps! They are a little out of my price range but I've been looking at a few other options.

One is the vintage route but then there's the cost of re cap etc... I was looking at the vintage Denon PRA's and POA's all with rave reviews.... but then the cost as I said.

I've been seriously purchasing a Parasound New Classic 2125v2 which is rated for 150 wats into 8 ohms and 225 watts into 4. Then add a Parasound pre amp..maybe stretch out to the 2150 which is 275 watts into 8 ohms.

Since you introduced the idea of class D amps, I noticed Parasound has a very attractive New Classic 200 integrated which gets great reviews. It is a Class D amp that puts out 110 into 8 and 4 ohms.

I know,... I'm all over the place right?

Anyway, the hunt is fun and I take my time. It's good to hear from others who've had sonic success with their gear. I think it's time for an upgrade. The HK 3490 new was approx $500.00 and its probably over 10 years old. It does the job but I'm ready to upgrade.
    Last edited by rifmon; 02-18-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Thanks ennewtunmakers for your input. Since I put out my initial inquiry, I've been re thinking my initial direction. I've been monitoring my new sound pressure app and 90% of the time it does not go above 90db. However, I observed higher levels when watching a movie on Amazon. It went over 100db (I think 108).
    Be careful with these SPL phone apps. I have tested a bunch of them against our fully calibrated SPL meter and have found they are often wildly inaccurate - and the louder the volume, the more inaccurate they become. I'd recommend purchasing an SPL meter to make accurate estimates on your volume levels.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the opine, Nate!