Thread: Nord and Ascend Speakers

Default Nord and Ascend Speakers

anyone know if nord amps works well with the ascend speakers?

Default Re: Nord and Ascend Speakers

Don't see why they wouldn't!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Which Ascend Speakers? Dave has recommended Class A/B over Class D with RAAL tweeters somewhere in the forum. I also asked him about it a few years ago and same recommendation when I was considering a D-Sonic Class D for my S2's. As I recall, do to the high frequency switching (?) noise that the RAALs can reproduce which may cause discomfort for some. Whether or not an issue for you, don't know. I decided to go Class A/B just to be safe. That said, as the technology improves, I may try a Class D out someday (looking to get one for surrounds/ATMOS speakers to replace current UPA7)
    Last edited by racrawford65; 02-05-2020 at 10:23 AM.

thank you, i read somewhere about the raals and the switching noise on the class d amps. that's why i asked about nords. i have s2's raals and horizon center raals and just ordered the tower raals and moving my s2 raals to surround duty.
    i'll probably just get an ATI or anthem.

Nice set of speakers. I did the same with my S2's when I purchased the tower raals for FL/FR. I'm using the Luna Duo as center (Horizon is too big for my cabinet).

I looked at the Nords, as well. Look like a really good amp. My only hesitation was if it needed service at some point and may having ship back to the UK.

You may also want to check out the Monoprice Monolith amps - made by ATI. It's on my short list to replace the UPA7 which is driving my center, surrounds, and ATMOS now. I'm also considering a D-Sonic for same duty, although it is class D, as lighter and more efficient. As I'm mostly music in 2.1, a bit less concerned about possible switching noise for movies.

I tried a friend's digital amp with my S2's last year. They were Digital Amplifier Company Cherry mono amps.
    They sounded awesome, no switching noise or any sounds that gave me pause. My friend is super sensitive to any harshness, etc. present when he listens and he was extremely impressed with the sound. Since the price of admission for those Cherries is above my pay grade, I stuck with my tried and true class A/B 200W@8ohms/350W@4ohms Adcom GFA-5500. Old school, but effective.

Maybe earlier/cheaper digital amp designs suffered from this issue? Always best to audition with the option to return the amp if it doesn't work out.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

went with ATI AT2005 for $1200.
    My thinking was i can always send it to California to add extra 2 modules if i decide to add height speakers and i can have it recapped/repaired if the need arises.
    monoprice monolith5was a consideration but too many reports of loose/plastic banana ports.

hopefully the $1200 price is a good value.
    Owner says the amp is in excellent condition no scratches and it never got warm/hot on him.

Quote Originally Posted by rysher View Post
    went with ATI AT2005 for $1200.
    My thinking was i can always send it to California to add extra 2 modules if i decide to add height speakers and i can have it recapped/repaired if the need arises.
    monoprice monolith5was a consideration but too many reports of loose/plastic banana ports.

hopefully the $1200 price is a good value.
    Owner says the amp is in excellent condition no scratches and it never got warm/hot on him.
    That’s a good deal! I use an older 1505, solid!

I wouldn’t be afraid of the Monoprice amp.
    -curtis

Agree. Good deal on that ATI amp.