Thread: Sierra-1NRT with S-2 woofer?

Default Sierra-1NRT with S-2 woofer?

I'm upgrading a pair of S-1NRTs to S-2EXs, and planned on returning the NRT/S-1 woofer to the original cabinets they came in. Owning S-2s, I've become spoiled with the speed and punch of these speakers, so I'm thinking of pairing the NRT with an S-2 woofer. My question, has anybody tried this, and two, what would be the proper crossover for this combination of parts? Would the S-1NRT crossover work well in this application?

Jay

Default Re: Sierra-1NRT with S-2 woofer?

all i know is that dave has made some of these for other customers.they are supposed to sound fantastic but i have not heard them myself.it requires a new crossover.i suggest calling ascend and asking them about it.i am not sure how many people have heard them.

Thanks for the response, I had a feeling that a crossover specifically designed for this application would be required.

My thoughts about this particular mod are twofold. With the S-2 to S-2EX upgrade path now available, there should be some customers out there with S-2 woofers available. Second, many whom bought Sierra Towers were quite pleased with the NRT tweeters that are standard in these great speakers. It seems like a really good match to use the true 6", CURV S-2 mid/woofer in conjunction with the NRT.

Jay

sorry about that i was a bit confused on what you wanted to do.i thought you wanted to have a sierra 2-ex with the nrt tweeter.you can count me as a big fan of the nrt tweeter.i know that this has been done before and that the s2 woofer works well with the nrt tweeter.it is my understanding that it is a custom order.the best thing is just to call ascend about it.

Heard back from Dave, whom I previously E-mailed about doing this. Being the crossovers are fully custom, they are too expensive for this iteration to be a good value. It is actually a touch cheaper to do the full S-2 upgrade. Too bad, I thought this mod might create a use for the used S-2 woofers, and generate a bit of cash for S-2 owners upgrading to EX status. I might add that the cost of new S-2 woofers is actually quite reasonable.

I don't know how far off the S-1 NRT crossover would be, but of course flawless integration of the drivers is the Hallmark of an Ascend system, maybe at some point Dave will weigh in on this matter.

Jay