Thread: Unconventional placement Sierra 2ex

Default Unconventional placement Sierra 2ex

Greetings,

I currently have a 5.1 system based around a Denon AVR 988 with the following speakers: PSB Image 1B (rear channels), HSU VTF-15H Mk2 (subwoofer), and a PSB Image 8C and a pair of AV123 ELT 525M for the LCR. My wife really likes the sound of the ELTs more than the 1Bs for music, so the 1Bs got booted behind us.

Our room is not that conducive to an audiophile soundstage, but I ran Audyssey and adjusted the sound to my wife and my preferences (resetting crossover to 80 from 40 on the LCR and bumping up the bass because the Denon AVR 988 sets it too quiet for our taste).

We listen to a lot of music (Radiohead, Grimes, Bon Iver, Major Lazer, MØ, Animal Collective, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Andrew Bird, Jose Gonzalez, Chvrches, The Beastie Boys, The Beach Boys, Bob Marley, Gorillaz, Tom Waits, Bjork, Dead Can Dance, Pink Floyd, Jack White, The Pixies, Beck, Die Antwoord, Bob Dylan, the Beatles, Flatbush Zombies, Collie Buddz, Wu Tang Clan, Beats Antique, DeadMau5, Marian Hill, Sufjan Stevens, Griz, Danger Doom, Xavier Rudd........) every day. Once a week or so we watch movies on blu-ray our UHD. We daily stream media and I play games on the PS4 (I normally use a pair of Sennheiser HD 598 with an external mic when I'm playing multiplayer games). So our usage comes out something like 70% Music, 10% Blu-rays, 15% streaming (youtube, netflix etc), 5% PS4 through speakers. I

am considering replacing the LCR with three Sierra-2ex's. The sub sits in the front corner with the right channel sitting on top of it (not optimal setup I'm sure). The room is 3,240 cubic feet (12 ft wide*27 feet long*10 feet high).

I love my little 1920's craftsman house and don't foresee moving, so I have to work with the space we have.

Due to the height of the television/height of the entertainment center/sub, I have to place the LCR on their side. One window (5 feet tall by 3 feet wide) onto the enclosed porch is located next to where the left channel is currently sitting. Are the Sierra-2ex's a good set of speakers for my application? Should I have the tweeter setup like the center or should I look into wall mounting (they would have to be at least six feet high on the wall)?

Sorry for such a wall of text, but I figured I should give as much info so I can get the best advice.

Default Re: Unconventional placement Sierra 2ex

I think the S-2EXs could work well in your room. Is it possible to share a pic of the front of your room? Using the speakers on their side with the tweeter rotated is fine but the left to right dispersion won't be symmetrical. If wall mounting 6 ft high, you'll want to be able to angle the speakers down towards the listening position. The Luna's might be the better option for that since they're smaller and already have a hole in the back for a bracket.
    Nate

I am a pretty private person and would prefer to not post a picture of my house. With the speakers on their side is the asymmetry you're talking about lobing(which I've only just learned about)? Would Audyssey correct for this? Also would the speakers do better with the tweeter toward the center or toward the outside wall?

I'm thinking that I would like to stick with the Sierra and not get the smaller Lunas due to the size of my room. You make a good point why the Lunar could work though.

Quote Originally Posted by weremichael View Post
    With the speakers on their side is the asymmetry you're talking about lobing(which I've only just learned about)?
    This is not off-axis lobing, off-axis lobing occurs when two transducers are producing the same frequencies such that these frequencies will reach you at different times due to the transducers being offset from each other in that specific plane. In a 2 way speaker, where the tweeter and woofer are essentially playing different frequencies, lobing will not occur.

We have many customers using Sierra-2/ Sierra-2EX positioned horizontally. The tweeter must be rotated 90 degrees to compensate but we do this for you provided you let us know that you will be using them horizontally (we also include full length grilles instead of the standard 3/4 length grilles).

Your room is quite large and I would recommend Sierra-2EX over the Luna's for this application.

Please feel free to give us a call!

Would Audyssey correct for this? Also would the speakers do better with the tweeter toward the center or toward the outside wall?

I'm thinking that I would like to stick with the Sierra and not get the smaller Lunas due to the size of my room. You make a good point why the Lunar could work though.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thanks for the reply David. I really appreciate that you are so interactive with your customers. You've always impressed me with your intelligent posts over on AVSforum. Also, thanks for taking the time to explain lobing to me.

It's awesome to know that you take care of turning the RAAL tweeters before shipping (and include the longer grilles on top of that). That was something that I was dreading to attempt.

With a horizontal placement, would the speakers do better with the tweeter toward the center of the room or toward the outside wall? I will happily play with how much I need to toe them in, but don't know which way to align the speaker in a horizontal placement.

I will definitely call once I'm ready to order.

Thanks for the reply David. I really appreciate that you are so interactive with your customers. You've always impressed me with your intelligent posts over on AVSforum. Also, thanks for taking the time to explain lobing to me.

It's awesome to know that you take care of turning the RAAL tweeters before shipping (and include the longer grilles on top of that). That was something that I was dreading to attempt.

With a horizontal placement, would the speakers do better with the tweeter toward the center of the room or toward the outside wall? I will happily play with how much I need to toe them in, but don't know which way to align the speaker in a horizontal placement.

I will definitely call once I'm ready to order.
    You are very welcome!

With regard to placing the tweeters on the inside vs outside, there are a lot of variables that come into play regarding this, mostly room acoustics and how far away the tweeter will be from reflections. It is best to simply experiment a bit to determine which type of positioning sounds best to you in your room.

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I ordered my speakers! Thanks Dave and Nate for the advice. What can I expect for break in time? Also, are the speakers breaking in our are my ears adjusting to the sound of the speakers?

I ordered my speakers! Thanks Dave and Nate for the advice. What can I expect for break in time? Also, are the speakers breaking in our are my ears adjusting to the sound of the speakers?
    Congrats! I'm sure you'll love them. Minimal to no break in time is required. It's more likely the latter, our ears and brains adjust to the speakers and to the room.

If you are placing a speaker on top of a subwoofer, consider getting a foam riser that gives a little isolation and angle. Something like this...https://www.amazon.com/Sound-Addicte...1255484&sr=8-2

And btw, I like your taste in music. Most likely, your new speakers will be more revealing of the quality of the recordings, so pick some good ones to start with.
    Nate

I'll pick a set up. What you said makes sense.

My other speaker sits on top of the table that has the turntable. I ended up putting isolation pucks under the turntable. I'm the worst audiophile, but I really love music.

Thanks for recognizing my musical taste. I'm really deep into animal collective right now after picking up a few rare records on a good deal. I attend a lot of concerts (always with earplugs) to keep myself young.

I always figured breaking in speakers is really breaking in my hearing music differently and then getting used to it. But like I said, I'm the worst audiophile.

I'm stoked to get to know what Dave's speakers are all about since I've been lusting for them for years. I just need to figure out what to play first...