Thread: What measurements indicate the differences in sound quality among Ascend speakers?

Default What measurements indicate the differences in sound quality among Ascend speakers?

I'm not an expert at reading and interpreting the measurements put out by Ascend on their speakers, but in general, they all measure well and have flat frequency responses.

This might be more of a question for Dave, but anyone feel free to respond as well.

I'm wondering which measurements correlate to the increase in sound quality as you go up in Ascend's lineup? For example, the CBM 170 and the Sierra Tower both measure well and flat, but obviously there's a significant step up in sound quality there - which of the published measurements account for this difference in sound quality?

Default Re: What measurements indicate the differences in sound quality among Ascend speakers

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    I'm not an expert at reading and interpreting the measurements put out by Ascend on their speakers, but in general, they all measure well and have flat frequency responses.

This might be more of a question for Dave, but anyone feel free to respond as well.

I'm wondering which measurements correlate to the increase in sound quality as you go up in Ascend's lineup? For example, the CBM 170 and the Sierra Tower both measure well and flat, but obviously there's a significant step up in sound quality there - which of the published measurements account for this difference in sound quality?
    I'm definitely not an expert either but I noticed two things: 'Horizontal and vertical off-axis graphs plus listening window'. The response of the tower is more consistent between on and off axis. Since we hear both direct and reflected sound, having a consistent frequency response will create a more realistic sound.
    'Cumulative Spectral Decay'. The tower's drivers show a quicker decay time. This should allow us to hear more detail. I'm sure there is much more...
    Nate

Default Re: What measurements indicate the differences in sound quality among Ascend speakers

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post

It is not yet possible to fully correlate sound quality with measurements, and while we publish extensive detailed measurements - they only represent a small portion of what we actually hear. That said, transient response, CSD and off-axis measurements are important...
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com