Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speakers for first HT - Focus on dialogue at lower volume

Default Re: Speakers for first HT - Focus on dialogue at lower volume

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    IMO, Just do all 200’s.

While the advice on centers is all valid, the engineering/design that Ascend puts into everything results is excellent performance from all of them.

If the 200 is not cutting it for you, it can be returned. You’ll just be out shipping.

Yes, MTMs get a bad rap, but the work that Ascend puts in minimizes disadvantages.
    Yes the reviews I found were really good for the 340 center. Actually the reviews for all Ascend speakers seem really positive which is why I settled here. For my purposes do you think I would notice a significant difference between the 340 and 200 at center?

I see you plan on a sub later. That said, the 200s do lack bass, and you will definitely need a sub.

As far as setup is concerned, I lean towards option A.

Is that a working fireplace?
    Yes it is a working fireplace. It gets little use but there will be a decent size stone mantle that shouldn't be hot. It also has fans that blow forward and rearward. As you can see we don't have any other wall space.

Option A sounds like a good plan. How much play is there when trying to keep the tweeters at ear level? Option a would put them about 5" above ear level.

I haven’t read the whole thread.

Yes, the overall sound of the 340 is better then the 200, it is definitely a better speaker. 3 x 340 would be an excellent setup. The 340 is also rear ported, so you will need some space behind them.

The 200 is no slouch for its size, and being sealed, offers more flexibility in placement.

5 inch difference in ear to tweeter level? How far back will you be sitting? It is likely a non-issue.

I asked about the fireplace because heat is not good for the TV or any electronics.
    -curtis

I haven’t read the whole thread.

Yes, the overall sound of the 340 is better then the 200, it is definitely a better speaker. 3 x 340 would be an excellent setup. The 340 is also rear ported, so you will need some space behind them.

The 200 is no slouch for its size, and being sealed, offers more flexibility in placement.

5 inch difference in ear to tweeter level? How far back will you be sitting? It is likely a non-issue.

I asked about the fireplace because heat is not good for the TV or any electronics.
    Seating distance is 9-10' away.
    How much space should I have between the rear port and the wall?

Quote Originally Posted by edm14 View Post
    Seating distance is 9-10' away.
    How much space should I have between the rear port and the wall?
    9-10’ no problem with that 5” difference.

Space from the wall? If you use the room EQ, I think 3”-5” should be fine. The rear port emits bass, and it will back and get reinforced from the wall, even more so if it is in an enclosed cabinet. The room EQ will tame that.
    -curtis

IMO, Just do all 200’s.

While the advice on centers is all valid, the engineering/design that Ascend puts into everything results is excellent performance from all of them.

If the 200 is not cutting it for you, it can be returned. You’ll just be out shipping.

Yes, MTMs get a bad rap, but the work that Ascend puts in minimizes disadvantages.
    I agree with this. The 200's sound great, especially upgrading from a soundbar or tv speakers. If you can afford it, then 2 Luna's and a Duo center would be the ultimate setup for this, but then you're around $2000.
    Nate

9-10’ no problem with that 5” difference.

Space from the wall? If you use the room EQ, I think 3”-5” should be fine. The rear port emits bass, and it will back and get reinforced from the wall, even more so if it is in an enclosed cabinet. The room EQ will tame that.
    Glad to hear the slight elevation of the tweeters won't be a problem. If I can make a 14-15" mantle work to hold and protect the speakers from heat I might try the 340 center. I understand the 200's, 170's and 340's should have close timbre matches so I can mix if necessary even if temporary until I can afford to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    I agree with this. The 200's sound great, especially upgrading from a soundbar or tv speakers. If you can afford it, then 2 Luna's and a Duo center would be the ultimate setup for this, but then you're around $2000.
    You are making me drool. If I could afford anything near that I would jump on it. Not only great feedback for their sound but the finish options look fantastic. (no offense to the bland looking 200's and 340's) I will be on the lookout for used pieces but they don't seem to be very common.

Quote Originally Posted by edm14 View Post
    You are making me drool. If I could afford anything near that I would jump on it. Not only great feedback for their sound but the finish options look fantastic. (no offense to the bland looking 200's and 340's) I will be on the lookout for used pieces but they don't seem to be very common.
    How about just a pair of Luna's and don't do a center channel for now? If you mount them with the tweeters down, then that'll be closer to ear level. They really sound fantastic for clarity and are not harsh. One downside to a 'Phantom' center is that voices won't be centered for people sitting to the sides of the TV.
    With either HTM-200s or Luna's you should also be adding a sub. A L12 or LV12F would be my recommendation.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    How about just a pair of Luna's and don't do a center channel for now? If you mount them with the tweeters down, then that'll be closer to ear level. They really sound fantastic for clarity and are not harsh. One downside to a 'Phantom' center is that voices won't be centered for people sitting to the sides of the TV.
    With either HTM-200s or Luna's you should also be adding a sub. A L12 or LV12F would be my recommendation.
    Unfortunately, the Luna's will still be over budget for now. I do like the idea of flipping so the the tweeters are lower. Once I get the receiver I think I will order a 340 Center and a 200 center to compare and then build from there. I'm looking at shelf size to make sure I can accommodate the deeper 340 center. Either way I will need a sub. What is the difference with the LV12F having the port?