Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Advice: Sierra-2EX

Default Buying Advice: Sierra-2EX (For 7.2 HT System)

Hello,

I have been reading these forums and thinking about Ascend Acoustics for a long time. I am currently in talks with Dina and trying to make a few final decisions.

I am building a 7.2 system with maybe a third subwoofer if needed to integrate well.

My main use case is home theatre. 80% gaming, 20% movies, 0% music. Gaming is a weird use case. As a medium, the sound and technology behind it have achieved a top tier level that rivals some of the biggest movies. One difference with gaming is surround isn't "mixed" into back channels; you control the camera and the center of your sphere of sound. If there is a fire crackling to the right of you, and you spin your camera, the fire will spin around the room to your front right, center, front left, side left, back left, back right, back to your right channel and so on.

With my experience and the unique needs of gaming, I feel having 6 speakers of the same type at the same height is ideal. The center is still unique and does a lot of its own work.

I will be putting speakers on 36" stands. This height is to clear the back of my sofa. The center sits on top of a 19" high console and below a 77" display. I sit 7' back from the display and front stage. The left and right channels are 7' apart. The side and back surrounds are 4' from me in all directions. So the angle from the tweeter is steeper.

My questions:

1. I am considering 6 Sierra-2EX's, 1 RAAL Horizon Center, and 2-3 Rythmik E15's. I listen to this system pretty loud. I don't have a specific measurement right now, but with a Denon 6500 the volume depending on speakers is at 0 to -15db. At these louder volumes, will the Sierra-2EX and Rythmiks blend well?

For the question above, please excuse what I am about to say as I am truly a novice in this world. I have a Minidsp and REW+Mic with a relatively firm grasp on calibration and integration. With the Sierra-2EX's 30hz low level and an 80hz cross over, will the mids sound "meaty" and integrated with these subs at louder levels?

2. For the front stage, I am 7' away, and for the back stage, I am 4' away. Every speaker is at the same height. On 36" stands. While sitting I am about 38-40" ear level. Will the different angles from tweeter to ear make a difference at these distances?

3. I am concerned about the center. I can't fit the Horizon's height, but I can order a custom one that is a bit shorter. However, I am worried about the different ribbon size and different woofers. Do you think there is something here to be concerned about? Is there another center to consider?

For the question above, I could order another Sierra-2EX in the center, but 1 thing holds me back. The a-symmetry, both aesthetically and practically. Also, I have a big meaty center now, and I love what that does so I am worried about the smaller size even though the idea of having all the exact same monitors is appealing.

Thanks for reading and for any advice. So far, love this community and Dave and Dina. I am looking forward to joining the family soon.
    Last edited by Sam; 01-21-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Default Re: Buying Advice: Sierra-2EX (For 7.2 HT System)

On the center, I believe Dave has previously guided people to the Horizon, over a Duo, over an S2-EX.

EDIT: Had said Luna when meant Duo.
    Last edited by jimb; 01-22-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    On the center, I believe Dave has previously guided people to the Horizon, over a Luna, over an S2-EX.
    Thank you Jimb. The Horizon is tall for me. I could do some things to make it work and I just might. I am curious of those that have matched the Horizon with Sierra-2EX and if the different sized RAAL ribbons have a noticeable (distracting) difference or if they play just fine together.

Also, I read a few forums posts here that Dave built an 8.25" high version of the Horizon. I would love to see what that looks and find more posts/info on it.

Thanks again for your reply.
    Last edited by Sam; 01-21-2020 at 09:21 PM.

The EX’s blend just fine with the Horizon. I have been running a Horizon with my S2’s and now EX’s for a while now. Just make sure they are all level matched as the Horizon is quite a bit more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    3. I am concerned about the center. I can't fit the Horizon's height, but I can order a custom one that is a bit shorter. However, I am worried about the different ribbon size and different woofers. Do you think there is something here to be concerned about? Is there another center to consider?
    The Duo is smaller than a Horizon, but punches way above its weight class:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/duo/duo.html

I'm using a Duo as center with a Sierra-2 L/R and Sierra-1 surrounds. Seamless. A near perfect match. But it makes the dialog cleaner, punchier, easier to understand. Amazing little beastie, the Duo is.

As for subs -- I'd rather have two ported subs than three sealed subs. I'm using a pair of Rythmik LVX12s. Integration with the mains was incredibly easy. What I have now is the sound of the Sierras, but seamlessly down below 20 Hz. And using an 80 Hz xover makes the Sierras sound a bit cleaner since the heavy lifting has been outsourced to the subs.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by diesel79 View Post
    The EX’s blend just fine with the Horizon. I have been running a Horizon with my S2’s and now EX’s for a while now. Just make sure they are all level matched as the Horizon is quite a bit more efficient.
    Thanks Diesel. I talked to Dave and he said that the Horizon would, of course, be the ultimate for me. The custom Horizon that is 8.5" high is $800ish more and I am not sure how it would be centered anyways because the ribbon and mid-range driver stacked are 11". The only thing stopping me is the height of the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    The Duo is smaller than a Horizon, but punches way above its weight class:

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...s/duo/duo.html

I'm using a Duo as center with a Sierra-2 L/R and Sierra-1 surrounds. Seamless. A near perfect match. But it makes the dialog cleaner, punchier, easier to understand. Amazing little beastie, the Duo is.

As for subs -- I'd rather have two ported subs than three sealed subs. I'm using a pair of Rythmik LVX12s. Integration with the mains was incredibly easy. What I have now is the sound of the Sierras, but seamlessly down below 20 Hz. And using an 80 Hz xover makes the Sierras sound a bit cleaner since the heavy lifting has been outsourced to the subs.
    Hey Bruce. I appreciate all of your contributions to this forum. They have been helpful. Thanks for replying to my post too. I think you're absolutely right. I think the duo is my best bet.

I raised my display 11" to try and see if I could live with it and it's just way too high. Sitting 7' away from a 77" display with the bottom raised 30" off the ground is just too high. I almost prefer the lower stance and more intimate viewing angle over the power of the Horizon.

All that said, I think the duo might be better anyways. It has a matching ribbon and with everything crossed over and integrated well, it should sound plenty full. How long have you been using the duo? Have you ever heard it with EX L/R?

As for the subs, the 15" sealed would look fantastic in my setup and I am a sucker for aesthetics. More importantly, I tried a ported sub from SVS and got some pretty bad rattle effects in the ultra-low frequency range. I have retrofitted and turned a garage into a room with insulation and the full works but there is still a massive steel door that I don't think I can tame. The rattling with the ported sub traumatized me. You think I will still be ok with the 15" sealed Rythmiks?

Thank you Jimb. The Horizon is tall for me. I could do some things to make it work and I just might. I am curious of those that have matched the Horizon with Sierra-2EX and if the different sized RAAL ribbons have a noticeable (distracting) difference or if they play just fine together.

Also, I read a few forums posts here that Dave built an 8.25" high version of the Horizon. I would love to see what that looks and find more posts/info on it.

Thanks again for your reply.
    If you don’t mind the extra money for the custom horizon, then that would be the best, as long as the tweeter remains over the midrange. If that is not the case I’d opt for the Duo that will have symmetrical dispersion, of your three options.

Many have said that the horizon blends very well with the Sierra 2 tweeter, so I wouldn’t worry, if you decide on the horizon.

I raised my display 11" to try and see if I could live with it and it's just way too high. Sitting 7' away from a 77" display with the bottom raised 30" off the ground is just too high. I almost prefer the lower stance and more intimate viewing angle over the power of the Horizon.
    Well, you know you don't have to put the center channel below the screen, yes? You can put it over the screen. Aimed a little down at the main viewing position, instead of aimed up. Nothing wrong with that sound wise. I'm actually thinking I should do that my self. Maybe a good spring project... we'll see.

All that said, I think the duo might be better anyways. It has a matching ribbon and with everything crossed over and integrated well, it should sound plenty full. How long have you been using the duo? Have you ever heard it with EX L/R?
    I was using Sierra 2s (non-Ex) as L/C/R. Replaced the one in center with the Duo. Never looking back. I got my Duo right after they were released, September of 2019.

As for the subs, the 15" sealed would look fantastic in my setup and I am a sucker for aesthetics. More importantly, I tried a ported sub from SVS and got some pretty bad rattle effects in the ultra-low frequency range. I have retrofitted and turned a garage into a room with insulation and the full works but there is still a massive steel door that I don't think I can tame. The rattling with the ported sub traumatized me. You think I will still be ok with the 15" sealed Rythmiks?
    You could removed the garage door and finish that wall... Otherwise you are probably scaring the neighbors.

So what you want is a sub that goes low, but not *too* low. You're probably right to stick with sealed units as a place to start.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

The custom Horizon that is 8.5" high is $800ish more and I am not sure how it would be centered anyways because the ribbon and mid-range driver stacked are 11".
    Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    If you don’t mind the extra money for the custom horizon, then that would be the best, as long as the tweeter remains over the midrange.
    The custom 8.5" high low-profile Horizon has the tweeter and mid side-by-side. You simply can't make the standard Horizon with the stacked tweeter and mid any shorter than 11". Although I bought my low profile Horizon before the Duo was available, I have zero regrets - it is an absolutely fantastic speaker! That said, the purchase would be a little harder to justify now given the relative cost and performance of the Duo.

low_profile_horizon.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    The custom 8.5" high low-profile Horizon has the tweeter and mid side-by-side. You simply can't make the standard Horizon with the stacked tweeter and mid any shorter than 11". Although I bought my low profile Horizon before the Duo was available, I have zero regrets - it is an absolutely fantastic speaker! That said, the purchase would be a little harder to justify now given the relative cost and performance of the Duo.
    Man, that thing is a sexy beast. Congrats on owning it. It looks like a supersize duo. Now that said, it looks so similar to the duo design that I think you and Bruce are right. Just get the duo.

I am curious, with it being asymmetrical, do you notice any difference at all? Whether real or maybe in your imagination? Do you think it makes any difference?