Thread: Talk me into getting a LV12F

Default Talk me into getting a LV12F

I currently have VTF 2 MK5. I've enjoyed it. I run 1 port open and keep the Q down for movies. I seal it with Q at lowest for music. I believe this gives me pretty tight response. I've enjoyed how low it can hit with one port open. I do about 50/50 HT/Music.

Due to some issues it is having though, I'm able to return it for free for a refund. It was always between this and LV12F and I have the "what if" itch. I originally went with the HSU because all of the customization appealed to me. In reality now, I think the only adjustments I'll ever do (for my current room) is opening/sealing a port between ht/music. I don't think I'll adjust the Q much at all because I think the lowest setting keeps it tight and still plenty of oomph.

Am I gaining much with the LV12F, or am I comparing items so close that there will not be much of a difference? I appreciate any insight as I feel stuck with the decision.

Default Re: Talk me into getting a LV12F

Quote Originally Posted by aiverson View Post
    I currently have VTF 2 MK5. I've enjoyed it. I run 1 port open and keep the Q down for movies. I seal it with Q at lowest for music. I believe this gives me pretty tight response. I've enjoyed how low it can hit with one port open. I do about 50/50 HT/Music.

Due to some issues it is having though, I'm able to return it for free for a refund. It was always between this and LV12F and I have the "what if" itch. I originally went with the HSU because all of the customization appealed to me. In reality now, I think the only adjustments I'll ever do (for my current room) is opening/sealing a port between ht/music. I don't think I'll adjust the Q much at all because I think the lowest setting keeps it tight and still plenty of oomph.

Am I gaining much with the LV12F, or am I comparing items so close that there will not be much of a difference? I appreciate any insight as I feel stuck with the decision.
    I have an Outlaw LFM-1, also made by HSU, but without the tuning and Q options. With familiar content I can tell the difference in the 50 to 80 Hz range between the subwoofer playing and when the subwoofer is off and the Sierra 2s are handling those frequencies. Lowering the crossover to around 50Hz fixes this issue. However letting the Sierra 2s handle that bass region for blu rays is not the best idea. They can’t handle the huge dynamic swings in the low bass is asking for trouble. This is why I want to upgrade to a Rythmik subwoofer. If you don’t notice such issues I wouldn’t worry that much about it. However, if you are in the free return time period, then maybe just swap it out for the Rythmik, to give you piece of mind. It might not be a huge difference in what you hear though.

Default Re: Talk me into getting a LV12F

Quote Originally Posted by aiverson View Post
    Am I gaining much with the LV12F...
    I think so. What you're gaining with the Rythmik is that it's a servo sub. I'll take just about any servo sub over just about any comparable non-servo sub. To me a servo sub is much easier to integrate with your mains, and the resulting sound is cleaner because of the lower distortion from the sub(s).

That said, I'm running a pair of LVX12s with Sierra-2s as mains. All it sounds like to me is that suddenly the Sierra-2s reach down below 20 Hz. They still sound exactly like they did before, but cleaner and deeper.

Another point you raise is going back and forth with port configurations and damping settings. I thought that too before my subs arrived. I played with this for a couple of days, and haven't touched them since. With servo subs I just don't find the need. I've got one port plugged, low-ht damping setting, and 80Hz xover with 12dB/octave slope. Works great for HT, and perhaps even better for music. Which was quite a surprise for me. But the ears don't lie.

If you haven't played with a servo sub before, try it. But be warned -- you may find it difficult to go back.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington