Thread: Cracked Sierra-1 Cabinet

Default Cracked Sierra-1 Cabinet

I have a large crack running up the left side of my Sierra-1 speaker which is not viewable from any seating positions so I believe this has gone unnoticed for some time. I'm not sure how this occurred as the speaker as never been dropped. I know fluctuations in humidity/temperature changes impact things as well from previous guitar experience, but we're in a consistently dry climate.

While I'm not enthralled with it aesthetically I can live with it. My concerns are will this crack grow over time? What is the likelihood this will impact the sound? It doesn't appear to have per my ear, but I can't tell if it goes all the way through. What are my options for repair?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Cracked Sierra-1 Cabinet

Sorry to see this. Very hard to see anything from the picture but we have no emails or phone calls from you, why not contact us directly so that we can assist you?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I will try and snap some better photos tonight, but the size limitation makes showing this in high resolution difficult.

I reached out to the forum because I believe I am out of warranty and wanted community feedback on a resolution versus being told to simply send it in for repairs. Unfortunately the documentation was lost in a
    move sometime back so I cannot say for sure. If I were to receive notice that the crack is not likely to spread and that it won't affect sound quality due to not likely penetrating through the entire cabinet I would simply leave it as-is. As noted aesthetics are not my top priority and potentially costly repairs to a 7+ year old speaker is not of interest to me. I would rather cut my losses and upgrade at that point, likely to the Sierra-2EX.

Quote Originally Posted by thechordisred View Post
    I will try and snap some better photos tonight, but the size limitation makes showing this in high resolution difficult.

I reached out to the forum because I believe I am out of warranty and wanted community feedback on a resolution versus being told to simply send it in for repairs. Unfortunately the documentation was lost in a
    move sometime back so I cannot say for sure. If I were to receive notice that the crack is not likely to spread and that it won't affect sound quality due to not likely penetrating through the entire cabinet I would simply leave it as-is. As noted aesthetics are not my top priority and potentially costly repairs to a 7+ year old speaker is not of interest to me. I would rather cut my losses and upgrade at that point, likely to the Sierra-2EX.
    I understand, feel free to email me a higher resolution photo. More than likely it is not a crack, just a mild displacement between the laminated panels - which would have no effect on performance. do you feel any air coming through the split when playing music?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com