Thread: Speaker Wires

Default Speaker Wires

Hello everyone. I'm new here as I've recently purchased a nice OLED T.V 75 inch but wanted to put together a sound system with my newly purchased Denon 3500. My question is, what speaker wires do you all recommend for my LCR 340s and 170 surrounds? Also if anyone has the VTF-2 MK5 sub what speaker wires do you get for that? My knowledge of speaker set ups is sadly not as great and this is my first time setting up a sound system for my room. Do these speakers use banana connectors? How many wires should I get?

Default Re: Speaker Wires

plain 16Ga. 2-conducter speaker wire will be fine. You would need 1 length per speaker so just get enough to cover that, giving yourself a bit of extra for waste.

The speakers will accept bare wire or bananas. If you want to use bananas, either on the speakers, AVR, or both, you will need 2 per speaker and 2 per connection at the avr. They will come in black & red pairs.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for the response! One more question. I noticed on the back of the speakers on the images listed, there are 4 nodes to plug in. The bottom looks like it says subwoofer. Do I ignore the bottom nodes? How does that work for the LCR speakers?

Ah, if you are referring to the 340's, there are 2 sets of terminals for use if you intend to bi-wire.......where you would remove the gold jumpers connecting the upper & lower terminals which splits input of the tweeter and woofers. LEAVE THE JUMPERS IN PLACE! Just connect the speaker wire to either the top or bottom set.

I forgot to address the sub connection. You would use a coax style sub cable (RCA) connected from the Denon 3500 to the sub input. Check the Hsu owner's manual for that.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Monoprice is a good source for wire, cables, banana plugs, etc. They are pretty good. Agree 16 gauge should be fine. You could also get 14 gauge, which is a little thicker.

If you want to spend a bit more, Blue Jean Cables are a step up and relatively inexpensive. You can get pre-terminated speaker wires if desired. LC-1 cable in length needed. Amazon is a good place to buy these (free shipping).

What he said. You will be fine with Monoprice wire and cables.

I would second Blue Jeans LC-1 for Sub and Blue Jeans Belden 12 or 10 AWG wire or their Canare 14 AWG cable. Watch this video and skip to 6 minutes 20 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7DdcZCbABo
    You can self terminate the BJC cables if you want to save money.
    Last edited by Sam1000; 03-25-2020 at 05:25 PM.