Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for a Center Speaker

Default Recommendation for a Center Speaker

Hi, I'm new here and looking for some guidance on picking out a center channel speaker for my system. I wrote to Ascend a few times in the past couple of months but never heard a peep from them. So I thought I'd reach out to this community.

I am currently using a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 40 tower speakers in a 12x25x8 ft room. My listening distance is laid out across the 12' width and comes to about 10.5 from the CLP to the speaker. Most of my listening is TV and movies.

I had the Q Acoustics matching center for a while. They were exceptional for their size--clear, detailed, and spacious--but they were a little laid-back for my taste. I was looking for something with a fuller sound, without being too in-your-face.

And that's what brings me here. I have heard much about Ascend Acoustics speakers and I'm hoping someone here can recommend a center to complement the Concept 40s. Thank you for your help. (P.S. I'll be adding a sub to my setup soon as well, probably the RSL 10S.)

Default Re: Recommendation for a Center Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by jojomun View Post
    Hi, I'm new here and looking for some guidance on picking out a center channel speaker for my system. I wrote to Ascend a few times in the past couple of months but never heard a peep from them. So I thought I'd reach out to this community.

I am currently using a pair of Q Acoustics Concept 40 tower speakers in a 12x25x8 ft room. My listening distance is laid out across the 12' width and comes to about 10.5 from the CLP to the speaker. Most of my listening is TV and movies.

I had the Q Acoustics matching center for a while. They were exceptional for their size--clear, detailed, and spacious--but they were a little laid-back for my taste. I was looking for something with a fuller sound, without being too in-your-face.

And that's what brings me here. I have heard much about Ascend Acoustics speakers and I'm hoping someone here can recommend a center to complement the Concept 40s. Thank you for your help. (P.S. I'll be adding a sub to my setup soon as well, probably the RSL 10S.)
    I've never heard your speakers, but Ascend speakers are neutrally voiced and should match other speakers reasonably well. It really depends on what you're willing to spend. A 340 center could work well for only $300 or the Duo would be amazing for $800. Horizon is even better but much bigger and more expensive.
    Last edited by natetg57; 01-07-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    j
    I've never heard your speakers, but Ascend speakers are neutrally voiced and should match other speakers reasonably well. It really depends on what you're willing to spend. A 340 center could work well for only $300 or the Duo would be amazing for $800. Horizon is even better but much bigger and more expensive.
    Hi, Nate. Thank you for taking the time to reply. If you're curious, here's a link to a very good and accurate description of the 40s.

https://www.avforums.com/reviews/q-a...r-review.10727

To sum it up, though, they're also neutral, transparent and detailed without being harsh-sounding. Unlike other speakers that I've auditioned, they have an uncanny ability to maintain those wonderful qualities at low volume levels (-20 to -30 dB), which is where I do most of my listening. What I like most is how they make great sound without being fussy. Would that be called "refined"? I don't know.

I was in fact considering the Duo. Just based on the technical specs alone they seemed like a good fit. They cost a good bit of the amount I paid for the pair of 40s (lol), but if they complement the 40s maybe that's money well-spent. I hadn't considered the 340 but I'll read up on them. Any other thoughts please let me know.
    Last edited by jojomun; 01-06-2020 at 09:22 PM.

Ascend does have a 30 day in-home trial policy to let you test how well they fit for you. You would lose the costs of shipping if you decided to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Ascend does have a 30 day in-home trial policy to let you test how well they fit for you. You would lose the costs of shipping if you decided to return it.
    Yes, that is true.

Quote Originally Posted by jimb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jojomun View Post
    Yes, that is true.
    Conversely, you might also be out the cost of a pair of Sierras that you're probably going to want for L/R after you hear the Duo.

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    Conversely, you might also be out the cost of a pair of Sierras that you're probably going to want for L/R after you hear the Duo.
    There is always a risk of that no doubt, but I gotta tell you these Concept 40s are freakishly good, and I use that word deliberately. It freaks me out how sound that I've never heard before just appears out of nowhere and hangs in the air. I have no doubt the Sierras have the same magical quality but I just bought the towers only a month ago and aren't really looking to upgrade so soon after. I do need a good center (and a sub though). That's my mission for the first half of this new year.
    Last edited by jojomun; 01-08-2020 at 12:06 PM.

I will piggy pack this thread a bit. What would be a better center, the Duo or a 2 EX?

Quote Originally Posted by wnydel View Post
    I will piggy pack this thread a bit. What would be a better center, the Duo or a 2 EX?
    I haven't heard the Duo but from what Dave has said on other threads, the Duo is the better center. It's symmetric layout and smaller woofers give it better sound off axis, compared to a 2EX on it's side. The 2-EX though isn't 'bad'. That's what I have and it sounds amazing to me.
    Nate

I went from S2 (not EX) to the Duo as center and definitely a nice step up. To me, dialogue is clearer.