Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AV Receiver Recommendation for Primarily Music

Default AV Receiver Recommendation for Primarily Music

Hi. It's been a very long time since I have posted. I'm currently shopping for a $1000 (or less) AV receiver. The lower the price the better. 70% of its use will be for music. My current system is an Onkyo 705, Sierra 1 for my mains, ELAC Debut 2.0 6.2 center and rear speakers. My future sub will be the LV12.

Volume level is always low to moderate, never loud. Room size is 315 sq. ft (volume 2400 cu. ft.).

Thanks for all suggestions.

Alan

Default Re: AV Receiver Recommendation for Primarily Music

Is there something you feel the current Onkyo is lacking?
    -curtis

The Onkyo sounds quite good. It also has the chirping issue, which is quite annoying. Its just time to upgrade.
    Last edited by ahender; 01-05-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    The Onkyo sounds quite good. It also has the chirping issue, which is quite annoying. Its just time to upgrade.
    I'm not familiar with the chirping issue, but that DOES sound annoying.

There are so many good receivers available now. Decide on what features you want, and go from there.
    -curtis

I have read at least two dozen reviews for Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer AV receivers under $1500. Not interested in Onkyo. Of these, only two referred to music quality. They were the most expensive, more than I would like to pay. Pretty much every AV receiver over $500 has similar features, but do they have the same music quality? This is why I am asking on this forum for suggestions. I would imagine music quality is something Ascend users prioritize in an AV receiver.

Of the brands you listed, I liked Yamaha for music when I was using one in my system. Haven't listened to Marantz or Denon in years (used to have a Denon system back in the late 80's/early 90's).

Another option might be to look for a used Anthem MRX. Looks like you are 5.0, going to 5.1 sometime. There's an MRX510 on usaudiomart.com for $599. A new MRX520 (current generation) runs 1400, but Anthem tends to run 20% off a couple of times a year. Anthem's sound exceptionally good for music, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    Of the brands you listed, I liked Yamaha for music when I was using one in my system. Haven't listened to Marantz or Denon in years (used to have a Denon system back in the late 80's/early 90's).

Another option might be to look for a used Anthem MRX. Looks like you are 5.0, going to 5.1 sometime. There's an MRX510 on usaudiomart.com for $599. A new MRX520 (current generation) runs 1400, but Anthem tends to run 20% off a couple of times a year. Anthem's sound exceptionally good for music, in my opinion.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Just ordered a Denon AVR-X3500H refurb for $499.

Quote Originally Posted by ahender View Post
    Just ordered a Denon AVR-X3500H refurb for $499.
    Good choice, even better if you order from Accessories for Less.
    -curtis

This what I would buy if I was shopping. I currently have the X4200. https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...X3E7QWFD87D3KH
    Nate