Thread: Dave and others important Sierra 2 EX purchase AND set up option questions

Default Dave and others important Sierra 2 EX purchase AND set up option questions

First off, I have 2 170's and love them. So my absolute ultimate end goal is a full blown Ascend room. Towers and Horizon Center and 2 ex's for surrounds. Rythmik Sub, the works.

Now, just due to affordability, I have to admit, I set up our bedroom (I love the home theater experience everywhere), with a cheaper competing product, just to have a full temporary set up somewhere (NO SUB, another question to follow). The 170's are the rears, so they are in the mix.

Now, I want to start to put by Ascend plan into motion.

The ultimate set up will be in our family room (small, roughly, 16 x 12). Our bed room is 11 x 15, so not far off. My wife and I spend 60 percent viewing time in our family room and 40 in our bedroom, so the mix is also close. For us, hard to say, but roughly 80 percent movies/TV and 20 percent music. My kids (in the family room) are 40% movies/TV and 60% gaming.

My questions for a purchase are this, my thoughts were to take my full set up (no sub) out of our bedroom and move it to the family room. Only to be moved back to our bedroom, after my Ascend plan is complete.

Then buy the Sierra 2 EX for our bedroom. That would leave our bedroom, temporarily with a receiver, Apple TV 4k and those two speakers only. The additional pieces may take a long time to add, full desired set up (noted above) may take a good 1-2 years to complete.

My questions

1) Would you do it that way outlined above OR Put the Sierra 2's downstairs, and just go with that for now? The family room will be the ultimate destination once I have all the pieces in place. Would they be enough to help a lot there with on their own? Keep in mind, we are only using the TV's built in speakers for the most part at the moment and a very old very cheap surround system that is only on when we use the DVD player, it's for all intents and purposes non-existent.

2) If I added the Sierra's 2's and as a temp solution only for maybe a good 6 months, add a 340 as a center, or would that mix be really bad?

3) Down the road 6 months or so (slowly upgrading), I was going to add the Horizon to the mix next. Should I buy the Horizon now and use the 170s as L/R and reverse my purchase plan?

4) See comments about our bedroom set up. Move everything I currently have downstairs to family room, buy a Rythimik sub to couple with that, run a 3.1 system down there, leaving our bedroom with the 170's as L/R, add a 340 to center them temporarily and set my upgrade plan way back, but have a full blown set up, with the sub I will eventually get in place in family room.

I have literally spent hours debating what to do regarding the above questions and I need informed opinions and a good injection of sensibility to help me with my above quandary.

Thoughts on the above are very much appreciated. Sorry it was a such a long winded brain-dump and I hope it all made sense! I need help sorting things out, I keep going back and forth with the pros and cons of the above.

Doug

Default Re: Dave and others important Sierra 2 EX purchase AND set up option questions

Things to factor into the above. I have $2,500 budget at the moment. I'm buying a second receiver and needed connection cords out of that as well. The receiver is $550 the cords less than 100 (not high end on either front, I'll worry about those upgrades much later).

So, that leaves roughly 1,900 ( I guess I could always add a few extra dollars, $100, if things go slightly over).
    Last edited by wnydel; 01-05-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Default Re: Dave and others important Sierra 2 EX purchase AND set up option questions

A pair of Sierra-2EX's wouldn't be a bad place to start. They can give you a feel for the differences between the 170's and the towers. You might decide that they are all you really need and can put a little more money into a receiver or subs. I'd also suggest Luna's for surrounds. In most cases it seems that they'll be easier to place in ideal locations for surrounds since they can be mounted directly on the wall.
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    A pair of Sierra-2EX's wouldn't be a bad place to start. They can give you a feel for the differences between the 170's and the towers. You might decide that they are all you really need and can put a little more money into a receiver or subs. I'd also suggest Luna's for surrounds. In most cases it seems that they'll be easier to place in ideal locations for surrounds since they can be mounted directly on the wall.
    Thanks Nate! That is the way I'm leaning.

Also, I just happened to notice your location. Depending how north west you are, you aren't all that far from me. Not a bad winter so far, hopefully it stays this way.

I'd go with a pair of Sierra-2EX now and use these in the family room, since it seems that is the room you and your family will spend more time in. As you eventually complete your final goal and purchase the towers, you then move the pair of Sierra-2EX to your bedroom.

Hope this makes sense!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com