Thread: Integrated Amplifier or Receiver Recommendation for CBM-170 SE

Default Integrated Amplifier or Receiver Recommendation for CBM-170 SE

I am looking for recommendations for a stereo integrated amp or receiver to make the best of my first Ascend Acoustics speakers, CBM-170 SE. Thank you.

Default Re: Integrated Amplifier or Receiver Recommendation for CBM-170 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Supertech View Post
    I am looking for recommendations for a stereo integrated amp or receiver to make the best of my first Ascend Acoustics speakers, CBM-170 SE. Thank you.
    The CBM-170SEs are not a difficult load to drive. Any decent integrated amp/receiver can make them sing. I’ve heard them hooked up to <$50 t-amps, and they sound great.
    Do you have a budget? What kind of listening will you be doing? What will be the sources of your music? Streaming(you’re own files or a service?), CD, turntable, etc.? Are there any features you are looking for?
    Last edited by curtis; 01-04-2020 at 08:51 AM.
    -curtis

Hi -curtis,
    Short version: I want to listen to Amazon HD Music Services. So, I need to connect my iPphone 11 Pro to my amplifier with USB or my amplifier needs to have an ethernet connection with Amazon App on it, etc. I want it to sound as good as possible.

Long version: I currently listen to music by connecting my iPhone to my Yamaha RX-V675 HT system. This model does not have Amazon HD Music so I have to use my iPhone via USB. It's inconvenient. I am planning to upgrade my AVR to Yamaha TSR-7850 (specs suggest that it is identical to Yamaha Aventage RX-A780; it can be as low as $379.99 on Costco when on sale).

So, I either buy a TSR-7850, and use it for both stereo listening and HT system. Or I get a separate stereo amplifier for CBM-170 SE, and find a way of listening from the music service. If I knew that TSR-7850 would work great as a stereo amplifier I would go for it. Otherwise, I will keep my old Yamaha RX-V675, and invest in stereo amplifier to enjoy CBM-170 SE. In a nutshell, I am trying to get into HiFi listening, but I not do not have enough experience with equipment (yet). I think my ears are better than average.

I hope it's clear enough. Thanks for the response. Much appreciated.

PS As a budget, I am trying to keep it under $500.00. But, I may pay another 100 or 200 more for a future expandable system.
    Last edited by Supertech; 01-04-2020 at 01:09 PM.

Adding a Fire TV Stick to your system would be the cheapest option to give you access to Amazon HD Music. I stream Tidal, Pandora and my own music from my Plex server this way and it works great (although I'm actually using a Fire TV Cube these days, recently moved the Fire TV Stick 4k to the bedroom). I just connect it to an HDMI input on my Marantz AVR which handles the audio and passes the video on to my TV. Works and sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    Adding a Fire TV Stick to your system would be the cheapest option to give you access to Amazon HD Music.....
    white_darren,
    That is a great suggestion. I have never thought of that. I will look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by white_darren View Post
    Adding a Fire TV Stick to your system would be the cheapest option to give you access to Amazon HD Music...
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertech View Post
    white_darren,
    That is a great suggestion. I have never thought of that. I will look into it.
    Excellent!! For $40-$50, and an excellent return policy, that's the first thing I would try in your situation.

I am a big proponent of streaming (and then buying CDs I like). I currently use Qobuz and Tidal(because it is $5 for 5 months right now, otherwise I would probably just be using Qobuz) via Roon. If Roon supported Amazon HD Music, I would be giving it a try.
    -curtis