Thread: Atmos Ceiling Speaker Size Match CBM-170

Default Atmos Ceiling Speaker Size Match CBM-170

I've been reading a few of the threads here and elsewhere on the topic of Atmos ceiling speakers and it got me thinking about the infinite baffle of the ceiling vs the tuned ported enclosures of the CBM-170s.

Initially, I wasn't even considering anything but matching 6 1/2" speakers for Atmos, but I see lots of posts suggesting that 8" seem to do a much better job with handling the Atmos objects/effects, etc.

I'm thinking back to my old car stereo competition days and recalling how much less powerful an infinite baffle installation vs a ported enclosure is. I'm curious if anyone has discovered that an 8" ceiling speaker might actually make a better match to a CBM-170?

I'm still not sure I can do 4 ceiling speakers with my space. I know I keep seeing that you really want 4 to get the full effect. If I can only work 2 though I'm even more interested in going 8" possibly to at least squeeze out the most sound from 2. If I decide to go with 4 it might make more sense to go 6 1/2" from a cost and space perspective.

Default Re: Atmos Ceiling Speaker Size Match CBM-170

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd01 View Post
    I've been reading a few of the threads here and elsewhere on the topic of Atmos ceiling speakers and it got me thinking about the infinite baffle of the ceiling vs the tuned ported enclosures of the CBM-170s.

Initially, I wasn't even considering anything but matching 6 1/2" speakers for Atmos, but I see lots of posts suggesting that 8" seem to do a much better job with handling the Atmos objects/effects, etc.

I'm thinking back to my old car stereo competition days and recalling how much less powerful an infinite baffle installation vs a ported enclosure is. I'm curious if anyone has discovered that an 8" ceiling speaker might actually make a better match to a CBM-170?

I'm still not sure I can do 4 ceiling speakers with my space. I know I keep seeing that you really want 4 to get the full effect. If I can only work 2 though I'm even more interested in going 8" possibly to at least squeeze out the most sound from 2. If I decide to go with 4 it might make more sense to go 6 1/2" from a cost and space perspective.
    What are the dimensions of your room? Any pics? I can't comment on ceiling speakers too much, but many are using HTM-200s and they work well. If possible, I'd suggest 4 ceiling speakers...
    Nate

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    What are the dimensions of your room? Any pics? I can't comment on ceiling speakers too much, but many are using HTM-200s and they work well. If possible, I'd suggest 4 ceiling speakers...
    The room is 11'x16' with 8' ceilings, but because of how it is laid out I'm confined to using it with the tv on the long wall on one side and the couch on the other with an opening into the dining area that constrains it further.

Basically, the rough estimates that I'm gathering are from a 45 degree angle straight up from the listening position that the Dolby recommended angles for 4 overhead Atmos speakers would be one pair 5 feet in front and one pair five feet behind the couch. Well, that's just not possible. I've got at most probably 2 feet to the wall behind my head if I move the couch off the wall.

I could just put the overhead rear speakers as close to the wall as possible and try to put the front ceiling speakers more according to specs to create as much distance as possible between them, but it would be far from ideal. I'm not sure how much it matters, but Audyssey would probably correct the levels and timing for just about whatever I do with it.

I'm also questioning if 6 1/2" infinite baffle speakers are going to sound a bit more hollow than my 5 CBM 170s at ear level. 6 1/2" might move the sound marginally rearward vs 8".

IDK, this is getting to be more of a hassle than it might be worth in the end. I do want to do it and do it right, but I'm getting tired of searching for the best value vs performance speakers and how they will fit my space.

I've got 4 open channels in my brand new Denon 4500 that I would like to put to use with some Atmos overhead speakers though. So, I'm otherwise set to do this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastfwd01 View Post
    The room is 11'x16' with 8' ceilings, but because of how it is laid out I'm confined to using it with the tv on the long wall on one side and the couch on the other with an opening into the dining area that constrains it further.

Basically, the rough estimates that I'm gathering are from a 45 degree angle straight up from the listening position that the Dolby recommended angles for 4 overhead Atmos speakers would be one pair 5 feet in front and one pair five feet behind the couch. Well, that's just not possible. I've got at most probably 2 feet to the wall behind my head if I move the couch off the wall.

I could just put the overhead rear speakers as close to the wall as possible and try to put the front ceiling speakers more according to specs to create as much distance as possible between them, but it would be far from ideal. I'm not sure how much it matters, but Audyssey would probably correct the levels and timing for just about whatever I do with it.

I'm also questioning if 6 1/2" infinite baffle speakers are going to sound a bit more hollow than my 5 CBM 170s at ear level. 6 1/2" might move the sound marginally rearward vs 8".

IDK, this is getting to be more of a hassle than it might be worth in the end. I do want to do it and do it right, but I'm getting tired of searching for the best value vs performance speakers and how they will fit my space.

I've got 4 open channels in my brand new Denon 4500 that I would like to put to use with some Atmos overhead speakers though. So, I'm otherwise set to do this thing.
    I think it'd work well. I don't think the angles are critical to getting convincing sound effects. You could possibly set the ceiling speakers to top front and top middle. But if they're behind you somewhat, than top front and top rear may still work best. Triad makes some in ceiling speakers that are fully enclosed. That could be an option if you're concerned with hollow sounding open baffle speakers.
    Nate