Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On a budget CBM-170SE

Default Re: On a budget CBM-170SE

Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
    I've had these for about 2 weeks now as LCR in a 5.0 system using a Yamaha RX-A1080. I got them because of budget consideration and coming from what I was using- 2 channel preamp/amp with old low quality speakers I thought I would be impressed. I am mostly wanting a satisfying music listening experience. The 170's are bottom heavy. I know if I had a subwoofer there would be an improvement but that's not in the budget for now and even then I don't think I'll get all those good things people say about the Sierra 1, 2, EX, Towers. Overall musicality seems to be lacking but I will say that for the price they do well. It's just that I am wanting more. I would appreciate hearing others experience.
    Have you ran YPAO (Auto calibration) on your Yamaha? That could help you tame a peak or set of peaks you may be experiencing in the bass, while not undercutting other bass frequencies (as what might be happening when you compensate with tone controls).
    What mode do you use on your receiver while listening to music (make sure it's not something like multi stereo)?
    -Tom K

Quote Originally Posted by tkrae11 View Post
    Have you ran YPAO (Auto calibration) on your Yamaha? That could help you tame a peak or set of peaks you may be experiencing in the bass, while not undercutting other bass frequencies (as what might be happening when you compensate with tone controls).
    What mode do you use on your receiver while listening to music (make sure it's not something like multi stereo)?
    -Tom K
    Good point.
    Or is YPAO still set for your previous speakers?
    -curtis

I've had these for about 2 weeks now as LCR in a 5.0 system using a Yamaha RX-A1080. I got them because of budget consideration and coming from what I was using- 2 channel preamp/amp with old low quality speakers I thought I would be impressed. I am mostly wanting a satisfying music listening experience. The 170's are bottom heavy. I know if I had a subwoofer there would be an improvement but that's not in the budget for now and even then I don't think I'll get all those good things people say about the Sierra 1, 2, EX, Towers. Overall musicality seems to be lacking but I will say that for the price they do well. It's just that I am wanting more. I would appreciate hearing others experience.
    in 20 years of manufacturing 170's, I don't think anyone has ever described them as bass heavy. If we do get a complaint regarding 170's, it is typically that they are somewhat light in deep bass.

I suspect you are simply used to listening to speakers with even less bass than our 170's. What speakers were you previously using?
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    in 20 years of manufacturing 170's, I don't think anyone has ever described them as bass heavy. If we do get a complaint regarding 170's, it is typically that they are somewhat light in deep bass.

I suspect you are simply used to listening to speakers with even less bass than our 170's. What speakers were you previously using?
    I was using CSI/Speco. They are contractor grade, inexpensive. I was a low voltage contractor and installed these in homes for background music, no critical listening. I haven't done any critical listening in a long time. I've been to Best Buy and listened to B&W and Martin Logan and yes I am not used to hearing defined bass. I asked the Magnolia guy if he was including a subwoofer when playing various floor models. He was not. Many years ago I had Design Acoustic D4 towers. From what I can remember they were quite good. But like I said prior, on a budget and as I listen more the 170's do quite well.
    Last edited by moe53; 12-30-2019 at 06:31 PM.

I was using CSI/Speco. They are contractor grade, inexpensive. I was a low voltage contractor and installed these in homes for background music, no critical listening. I haven't done any critical listening in a long time. I've been to Best Buy and listened to B&W and Martin Logan and yes I am not used to hearing defined bass. I asked the Magnolia guy if he was including a subwoofer when playing various floor models. He was not. Many years ago I had Design Acoustic D4 towers. From what I can remember they were quite good. But like I said prior, on a budget and as I listen more the 170's do quite well.
    Sounds to me like you were simply not used to hearing bass and it is probably a good thing you didn't go with Sierra-1 as they have much deeper bass extension than the 170's.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

As I listen more I am finding the that the issue that I perceive is very dependent on the music. Some styles like traditional bluegrass usually have a prominent stand up bass in the mix. That's where I'm hearing a kind of boominess. Classical, orchestral music sounds pretty darn good. I did not previously mention that while I do have two recliner sofas in the listening area, a two and a three seater, the floor is bare tile which I hope to get an area rug to cover. Maybe that will help.
    Boominess is definitely from the room as others have mentioned. A rug may help somewhat. Also, moving the speakers out of a corner or out of an enclosed type space could help.
    Nate

I have cheaper RX-V675, and with this AVR, CBM-170SE sounds very good to me. They sounded even better in my living room than basement though. Did you solve your problem.

Never thought I would hear this comment about the 170's, so yeah, just not used to Bass.
    I'm still using my 170's as L/R with 340 as CC in my LR (with sub of course), and they're still shining many years later.

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by muzz View Post
    Never thought I would hear this comment about the 170's, so yeah, just not used to Bass.
    I'm still using my 170's as L/R with 340 as CC in my LR (with sub of course), and they're still shining many years later.

Enjoy
    muzz!! Where have you been??
    Good to “see” you!
    -curtis

Hey Curtis!
    So many life changes bud, but still listening to my 170/340 combo 13years later...the TV doesn't come on without them.
    Hope all is well my friend, we should catch up, it's been awhile!

G