Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On a budget CBM-170SE

Default On a budget CBM-170SE

I've had these for about 2 weeks now as LCR in a 5.0 system using a Yamaha RX-A1080. I got them because of budget consideration and coming from what I was using- 2 channel preamp/amp with old low quality speakers I thought I would be impressed. I am mostly wanting a satisfying music listening experience. The 170's are bottom heavy. I know if I had a subwoofer there would be an improvement but that's not in the budget for now and even then I don't think I'll get all those good things people say about the Sierra 1, 2, EX, Towers. Overall musicality seems to be lacking but I will say that for the price they do well. It's just that I am wanting more. I would appreciate hearing others experience.

Default Re: On a budget CBM-170SE

by bottom heavy do you mean they have too much bass for your tastes?

Quote Originally Posted by rdkusher View Post
    by bottom heavy do you mean they have too much bass for your tastes?
    Yes. When I trim the bass using tone control on the Yamaha it helps but seems to also thin out more than the bass. I think there is a more elaborate tone control on the Yamaha. I have to get into it. I have experimented with location of the speakers. They are rear ported so now they are about 8"-9" from the rear wall and the right speaker sits about a foot from a 4' side wall- no option there. Placing them closer to the rear wall seems to make the bass a bit more focused- I think. My perceptions may not be reality.

Are they on stands?

i don’t think I’ve ever read them being described as bottom heavy before.
    Last edited by curtis; 12-22-2019 at 04:25 PM.
    -curtis

what were your previous speakers and how big were they?is it possible that you are just hearing more bass than you have become accustomed too?i have owned the 170's and i never found them to be bass heavy even on a table nearly up against the wall.it is possible that the spot you have the speakers placed in your room is is causing a large peak in the bass frequencies.one thing to try is moving them around to other spots in the room and try setting them up in another room also.if the bass sounds more even in another room or location you will have your answer.if not then i think you should spend more time listening to the speakers and allowing yourself time to acclimate to the new sound.when i first started getting into hifi as a teenager i didn't really like the more revealing nature of better speakers in the high frequencies at first.now i can't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis View Post
    Are they on stands?

i don’t think I’ve ever read them being described as bottom heavy before.
    Yes, I am using Sanus SF30 stands.

Quote Originally Posted by rdkusher View Post
    what were your previous speakers and how big were they?is it possible that you are just hearing more bass than you have become accustomed too?i have owned the 170's and i never found them to be bass heavy even on a table nearly up against the wall.it is possible that the spot you have the speakers placed in your room is is causing a large peak in the bass frequencies.one thing to try is moving them around to other spots in the room and try setting them up in another room also.if the bass sounds more even in another room or location you will have your answer.if not then i think you should spend more time listening to the speakers and allowing yourself time to acclimate to the new sound.when i first started getting into hifi as a teenager i didn't really like the more revealing nature of better speakers in the high frequencies at first.now i can't get enough of it.
    Do you use a subwoofer with your 170's? It might be that I am not accustomed to the sound signature of these and I should experiment more with placement. When I was speaking to Dinah when ordering them she did say they do sound better with a subwoofer.

i never used a sub with them when i owned them.i will tell you though that i have heard a lot of speakers over the years and the 170's have some of the most linear and detailed bass response that you will find for anywhere near their price range.if you are getting too much low end it is likely a room issue.i know you said that getting a sub isn't something you can do right now but it would allow you to place it in a better spot for bass in your room.is there anything else about their presentation you don't like?

I owned the 170s for approximately 10 years and I agree with others that they are very accurate and linear across its response frequency. They are very articulate and the bass never stood out in any way from any source. I agree that there is something else going on. It may be the placement or the room.

Maybe you can experiment by moving your entire system into another room just to see if what you’re hearing disappears. Just stick with it till it’s resolved because they are better than “for the money” speakers.

As I listen more I am finding the that the issue that I perceive is very dependent on the music. Some styles like traditional bluegrass usually have a prominent stand up bass in the mix. That's where I'm hearing a kind of boominess. Classical, orchestral music sounds pretty darn good. I did not previously mention that while I do have two recliner sofas in the listening area, a two and a three seater, the floor is bare tile which I hope to get an area rug to cover. Maybe that will help.