Quote Originally Posted by moe53 View Post
I've had these for about 2 weeks now as LCR in a 5.0 system using a Yamaha RX-A1080. I got them because of budget consideration and coming from what I was using- 2 channel preamp/amp with old low quality speakers I thought I would be impressed. I am mostly wanting a satisfying music listening experience. The 170's are bottom heavy. I know if I had a subwoofer there would be an improvement but that's not in the budget for now and even then I don't think I'll get all those good things people say about the Sierra 1, 2, EX, Towers. Overall musicality seems to be lacking but I will say that for the price they do well. It's just that I am wanting more. I would appreciate hearing others experience.
Have you ran YPAO (Auto calibration) on your Yamaha? That could help you tame a peak or set of peaks you may be experiencing in the bass, while not undercutting other bass frequencies (as what might be happening when you compensate with tone controls).
What mode do you use on your receiver while listening to music (make sure it's not something like multi stereo)?
-Tom K