Thread: Sierra-1 to EX

Default Sierra-1 to EX

Just wanted to know people's impression when they went from the Sierra-1 to EX? I just bought the upgrade kit (from NrT) but still wanted people's general impression. I have the Sierra-2's as well and love the clarity and speed of the ribbon tweeter. I remember when the Sierra-2 first launched Dave weighed in and liked both the NrT and RAAL tweeters, each having it's own unique character.

Also one more question, once converted, can I convert them back to Sierra-1's if I keep the tweeter, crossover, and woofer? It'd be interesting to be able to go back and forth (nostolgia)

Default Re: Sierra-1 to EX

Quote Originally Posted by crazycuz2k View Post
    Just wanted to know people's impression when they went from the Sierra-1 to EX? I just bought the upgrade kit (from NrT) but still wanted people's general impression. I have the Sierra-2's as well and love the clarity and speed of the ribbon tweeter. I remember when the Sierra-2 first launched Dave weighed in and liked both the NrT and RAAL tweeters, each having it's own unique character.

Also one more question, once converted, can I convert them back to Sierra-1's if I keep the tweeter, crossover, and woofer? It'd be interesting to be able to go back and forth (nostolgia)
    From the Sierra-1 to Sierra-2, the different woofer is responsible for the change in sound at least as much as the RAAL tweeter.

In the EX, it takes it another step or two.
    -curtis

Just finished installing the Sierra 2 EX upgrade kit to the NrT’s. First impression is definitely a much warmer sound. Thinking these may be easier to listen to for long listening sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycuz2k View Post
    Just finished installing the Sierra 2 EX upgrade kit to the NrT’s. First impression is definitely a much warmer sound. Thinking these may be easier to listen to for long listening sessions.
    I just installed my three kits yesterday. I'm feeling like voices sound slightly more lifelike and closer. A little more impact as well. It's subtle but I'm glad I did it.
    Nate

I installed the upgrades on Christmas Eve.

Top to bottom, the speaker is at another level or two. Punch/slam, fuller mids and, amazingly, smoother highs. I can feed them more power and the sound stays composed. I give up before they ever do, but only because I worry my wife will hear and tell me to turn it down! I dozed off momentarily while listening the other day, only to be completely startled awake by the next track that started off with some very punchy percussive drums, and that was playing them full range with the sub turned off.

To put the differences between the Sierra-1 vs Sierra-2 in perspective........ I actually did this very comparison when I brought my Sierra-2's to a friend's house a few years back to compare with his -1's as he was on the fence about upgrading to the -2's, the differences were not subtle. Not to sound cliche', but it was as if a veil had been lifted off the speaker once we played the -2's. He and his wife stood there with their mouths open. The difference was staggering. The Sierra-1 is still a fantastic speaker for its price range, but you do get what you pay for with the Sierra-2 & -2EX.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables