Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29

    Default sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

    since my piggy bank is almost full as you see in the pic, i plan to upgrade my whole system (tv, surrounds, amps).
    i already got a TV to replace my 7 year old POS samsung and the ne step is to upgrade the L/R sierra 2 to either sierra tower or sierra 2ex or sierra duo
    is there a noticeable difference between the tower and the ex?
    i have outlaw 12 dual subs to handle the lower end.
    i plan to move the sierra 2's to the back as surrounds making the system into 5.2

    ascend.jpg

    thanks for the help.
    Last edited by rysher; 12-16-2019 at 08:40 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,300

    Default Re: sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

    Quote Originally Posted by rysher View Post
    since my piggy bank is almost full as you see in the pic, i plan to upgrade my whole system (tv, surrounds, amps).
    i already got a TV to replace my 7 year old POS samsung and the ne step is to upgrade the L/R sierra 2 to either sierra tower or sierra 2ex or sierra duo
    is there a noticeable difference between the tower and the ex?
    i have outlaw 12 dual subs to handle the lower end.
    i plan to move the sierra 2's to the back as surrounds making the system into 5.2

    ascend.jpg
    Great looking system!

    is there a noticeable difference between the tower and the ex?
    It really depends. The towers offer more midrange detail, much higher efficiency and can play quite a bit louder. The towers also offer an overall better match with your Horizon center. That said, the Sierra-2EX upgrade is also very worthwhile.

    (2) quick questions - how far back are you sitting from the speakers? Do you generally listen to movies and/or music at very loud volume levels?

    thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Great looking system!
    thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    how far back are you sitting from the speakers?
    about 9ft

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Do you generally listen to movies and/or music at very loud volume levels?
    not really, the system is in a small room 15x30x8 family rm/dining.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,300

    Default Re: sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

    Quote Originally Posted by rysher View Post
    thank you

    about 9ft


    not really, the system is in a small room 15x30x8 family rm/dining.
    Since you mentioned also upgrading your amplifiers, what amplifier/receiver are you currently using?
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Since you mentioned also upgrading your amplifiers, what amplifier/receiver are you currently using?
    currently no amps. just have a dennon x4200, i think 125w/ch.
    my priority right now is the front L/R.
    already got the sony xbr75z9f so might not have enough savings to get the the amps in the near future, that's gonna be later on down the road.
    Last edited by rysher; 12-18-2019 at 08:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,300

    Default Re: sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

    Quote Originally Posted by rysher View Post
    currently no amps. just have a dennon x4200, i think 125w/ch.
    my priority right now is the front L/R.
    already got the sony xbr75z9f so might not have enough savings to get the the amps in the near future, that's gonna be later on down the road.
    With the excellent efficiency of the towers combined with your X4200, I am honestly not sure if you will notice any benefits by going to a separate amp. It is really one of those things that you can only try for yourself to make that determination.
    .
    .
    .
    Good Sound To You!

    David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29

    Default Re: sierra tower, sierra 2ex or sierra duo

    got it on the amps.
    towers then.

    thank you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •