Thread: Any reason to get the Horizon over the Duo if crossed over at 80Hz?

Default Any reason to get the Horizon over the Duo if crossed over at 80Hz?

I've got a 3500cuft home theater, with the listening position about 10' from the main speakers. I'm looking to upgrade my SVS Prime center and towers (they sound good, but there's a harshness to the center on some films that I find annoying). I've got a pair of Lunas for a smaller system that sound fantastically smooth and transparent, and I want that sound in my home theater.

So for the center, the choice would be between the Horizon (RAAL) and Duo. Is there any reason to get the Horizon over the Duo if I'm crossing over at 80Hz? Is the simplicity of a 2-way design a benefit that outweighs the strengths of the 3-way Horizon (which, if I recall, potentially have better off-axis response)?

Default Re: Any reason to get the Horizon over the Duo if crossed over at 80Hz?

I would decide the center speaker based on your choice for your mains. If you go with the towers for mains, then get the horizon center. If you go with Sierra 2 (or EX), or Lunas as mains, then go with the Duo.

To decide on the mains, at that distance you don’t necessarily need towers, unless you listen at very loud levels. Or if you just want the slight improvements of the 3-way design.

The Duo works great with the Towers also. That's the setup I am running. I did consider the Horizon but too big for my space.

Quote Originally Posted by N Boros View Post
    I would decide the center speaker based on your choice for your mains. If you go with the towers for mains, then get the horizon center. If you go with Sierra 2 (or EX), or Lunas as mains, then go with the Duo.

To decide on the mains, at that distance you don’t necessarily need towers, unless you listen at very loud levels. Or if you just want the slight improvements of the 3-way design.
    I agree. The speakers with ribbon tweeters should all play well together. I was trying to push for matching the output capabilities across the front. If the matching center doesn’t fit, then you have to choose one that will.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    I've got a 3500cuft home theater, with the listening position about 10' from the main speakers. I'm looking to upgrade my SVS Prime center and towers (they sound good, but there's a harshness to the center on some films that I find annoying). I've got a pair of Lunas for a smaller system that sound fantastically smooth and transparent, and I want that sound in my home theater.

So for the center, the choice would be between the Horizon (RAAL) and Duo. Is there any reason to get the Horizon over the Duo if I'm crossing over at 80Hz? Is the simplicity of a 2-way design a benefit that outweighs the strengths of the 3-way Horizon (which, if I recall, potentially have better off-axis response)?
    The Horizon is definitely the better overall center, if you can fit it and it is within your budget, highly recommended!

Please feel free to reach out to us directly and happy holidays!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

i have a horizon with raal as center and sierra2's for L/R, cant be happier.
    i bought them in 2016, i am back to get the luna for sourrounds or get the tower with raal and move the sierra2's for L/R rear.

definitely get the horizxon center