Thread: Crossover frequency for S2-EX

Default Crossover frequency for S2-EX

For those using subwoofers with the Sierra 2-EX's, what crossover frequency did you find works best? I know the S2-EX's bass is amazing so I wonder if a relatively lower crossover might sound best.

Dave, if you're reading this, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Default Re: Crossover frequency for S2-EX

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    For those using subwoofers with the Sierra 2-EX's, what crossover frequency did you find works best? I know the S2-EX's bass is amazing so I wonder if a relatively lower crossover might sound best.

Thanks!
    I generally recommend between 60-80Hz. Best to experiment to see what works best in your room, but I don't recommend going lower than 60Hz if possible.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Would you expect the 2EX be "comfy" with a crossover of 60Hz if one is using Audyssey and a receiver that has a 20dB/oct slope for the LPF? I don't want the receiver trying to make the speakers push out sounds at deeper/louder levels than they should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 883 View Post
    Dave,

Would you expect the 2EX be "comfy" with a crossover of 60Hz if one is using Audyssey and a receiver that has a 20dB/oct slope for the LPF? I don't want the receiver trying to make the speakers push out sounds at deeper/louder levels than they should be doing.
    2EX are fully comfy playing full range, a 60Hz crossover for them is certainly no problem.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    2EX are fully comfy playing full range, a 60Hz crossover for them is certainly no problem.
    Good to know... I was just concerned about Audyssey trying push some of those lower frequencies (esp. with movies) too hard if the roll off wasn't steep enough. Is that element only a concern if the roll off is less steep?
    Last edited by 883; 01-29-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 883 View Post
    Good to know... I was just concerned about Audyssey trying push some of those lower frequencies (esp. with movies) too hard if the roll off wasn't steep enough. Is that element only a concern if the roll off is less steep?
    I understand, Auto-EQ could cause some potential issues if running them full range by adding too much low frequency boost, but with a 60Hz high pass, all will be fine
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I should have said the HPF = 12dB/oct roll-off. I am guessing you were very aware of my mixing things up and just polite, but... With this corrected information does your most recent statement above still stand? Thank you so much Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post

Thanks!
    I was using an 80hz crossover with Sierra-1s and 2s. I experimented with 60hz once I upgraded to the 2EXs but found I like the added punch/presence of bass with 80hz. I have two Rythmik L12s.
    Nate

90hz and 100hz measured the best in my room. I settled on 90 as I didn’t want to take away too much from my Horizon and EX’s.