Thread: Crossover frequency for S2-EX

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Crossover frequency for S2-EX

For those using subwoofers with the Sierra 2-EX's, what crossover frequency did you find works best? I know the S2-EX's bass is amazing so I wonder if a relatively lower crossover might sound best.

Dave, if you're reading this, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Default Re: Crossover frequency for S2-EX

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    For those using subwoofers with the Sierra 2-EX's, what crossover frequency did you find works best? I know the S2-EX's bass is amazing so I wonder if a relatively lower crossover might sound best.

Thanks!
    I generally recommend between 60-80Hz. Best to experiment to see what works best in your room, but I don't recommend going lower than 60Hz if possible.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Would you expect the 2EX be "comfy" with a crossover of 60Hz if one is using Audyssey and a receiver that has a 20dB/oct slope for the LPF? I don't want the receiver trying to make the speakers push out sounds at deeper/louder levels than they should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by 883 View Post
    Dave,

Would you expect the 2EX be "comfy" with a crossover of 60Hz if one is using Audyssey and a receiver that has a 20dB/oct slope for the LPF? I don't want the receiver trying to make the speakers push out sounds at deeper/louder levels than they should be doing.
    2EX are fully comfy playing full range, a 60Hz crossover for them is certainly no problem.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    2EX are fully comfy playing full range, a 60Hz crossover for them is certainly no problem.
    Good to know... I was just concerned about Audyssey trying push some of those lower frequencies (esp. with movies) too hard if the roll off wasn't steep enough. Is that element only a concern if the roll off is less steep?
    Last edited by 883; 01-29-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 883 View Post
    Good to know... I was just concerned about Audyssey trying push some of those lower frequencies (esp. with movies) too hard if the roll off wasn't steep enough. Is that element only a concern if the roll off is less steep?
    I understand, Auto-EQ could cause some potential issues if running them full range by adding too much low frequency boost, but with a 60Hz high pass, all will be fine
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post

Thanks!
    I was using an 80hz crossover with Sierra-1s and 2s. I experimented with 60hz once I upgraded to the 2EXs but found I like the added punch/presence of bass with 80hz. I have two Rythmik L12s.
    Nate

90hz and 100hz measured the best in my room. I settled on 90 as I didn’t want to take away too much from my Horizon and EX’s.