Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bass v mid-bass

Default bass v mid-bass

This may be a question for Dave F. What is considered mid-bass and what is considered bass in terms of Hertz. I see a lot of posts about mid-bass that are in the Hertz area I'd consider bass. Any body have a good definition?

I think I read somewhere that mid-bass is 80Hz to 200Hz.....and that has been the definition I have used.

Hope I am right.
    -curtis

I did some web searching and found multiple places defining it as 100-400Hz which covers a range of about two octaves.

Along the same lines... what part of the recording can be called midbass? For instance is a tuba bass or midbass... is a low male vocal bass or midbass... that sort of thing. Also what are some examples of where midbass stops and treble starts?

Randy

This page has the best diagram I could find in some quick google work: http://home.tir.com/~ms/concepts/concepts.html

I have a physics text here with a similar diagram showing the ranges of strings and saxophones above the piano keys, but it doesn't also show the frequencies like the one above.

I just found this site: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/

Some really cool detailed info on the sound production of different instruments.

Thanks Brad,

With a quick scan of the graph of musical instruments it appears that the range of the trombone approximately covers the 100-400Hz area that is considered mid-bass. Interesting. Getting late but am going to spend some more time on the links you provided.

Randy

Great info here...

There are really no formal frequency range specifications for the descriptive terms of bass/midbass/mids/highs etc. For my own descriptions, I use the following... bass / midbass / midrange / highs. Each description is a 2 to 3 octave range. In some cases, I like to differentiate the midrange into 3 additional descriptions, low-mids, middle-mids, and high-mids.

Bass --> bottom 2 octaves (16Hz - 63Hz) (often rounded to 16Hz to 100Hz)
    Midbass --> next 3 octaves (63Hz - 500Hz)
    Midrange --> next 3 octaves (500Hz - 4kkHz) (most vocals)
    Highs --> top 2 octaves (4kHz and up)

The link Brad provided is an excellent example of what frequency range musical instruments and vocals cover.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Talking

Mid Bass? Isn't that the same thing as the 'mid-drift'?
    Dave Nelms

Came across this and thought it might help.

Last edited by Quinn; 05-31-2005 at 09:42 AM.