Thread: CBM-170SE vs. Sierra 1

Default CBM-170SE vs. Sierra 1

I am looking at these two speakers for LRC of a 5.1 system. Music would be the majority of use, 60/40. Considering the price difference the Sierra 1 must be a 'better' speaker. Can anyone describe the difference in sound, overall listening experience between these speakers?
    Also when choosing a stand does it matter that the plate is smaller than the speaker? For ex. 6"x 6".

Default Re: CBM-170SE vs. Sierra 1

I owned the 170's from approx. 2002 to 2012. They are very articulate and when mated with a sub, are incredible. I finally decided to venture into the Sierra world at around 2012 and bought a pair of Piano Black (beautiful but high maintenance btw). I was skeptical that the difference would be that noticeable. I was expecting an incremental sonic quality increase but as soon as I hooked them up I was very surprised at the difference. For music, no sub was needed for my preferences. It was full and easy to listen to for long periods of time. The extra money was well worth it.

I'd say, it is the best deal going especially if you catch a B Stock sale. Also, I was informed that the Sierra 1's are going to remain in Ascend's line-up. It remains a very popular item and can always be serviced in the future if any issues arise.

I am not a technical audio person. I just know when I love the sound of a speaker when I hear it and the Sierra 1 is an incredible buy.

I hope this helps!