Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S2 upgrade strategy?

Default S2 upgrade strategy?

I have S2's for LRC + an F12 sub. I'm pretty happy with the setup overall, but could go for a bit more mid presence for the center for dialog.

I was toying with upgrading just the center S2 to a 2EX. But then from reading threads it seemed like a better option might be to upgrade my mains to 2EX's and maybe change the center to a Dual. (a horizon is way too big for the cabinet)

I'm just wondering in order to reuse as much as possible and not waste 2 S2 woofers, and if they're the same as the ones in the Dual, would you sell a single empty Dual cabinet with 2 EX kits?

I guess my assumption is LR 2EX's + Dual > LCR 2EX's.

Thx!

Default Re: S2 upgrade strategy?

Interested in this thread as well. I’m in the same boat

The S2 woofers and 2-EX woofers are the same size, but the woofers in the Luna Duo (Duo LCR?) are quite a bit smaller. They're not interchangeable.

Is your current setup optimized in terms of center placement (location and direction it faces)?

You could always just bump up the center level a dB or two on your AVR if you want more/better dialogue intelligibility.
    Last edited by Beave; 12-02-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    The S2 woofers and 2-EX woofers are the same size, but the woofers in the Luna Duo (Duo LCR?) are quite a bit smaller. They're not interchangeable.
    Oh well.

Is your current setup optimized in terms of center placement (location and direction it faces)?
    I think its good - at least as good as I can make it. The S2 center's inside a salamander synergy 3 cabinet behind a door with a grate. I think the grate is pretty transparent, even with the door open it sounds similar. And the speaker is on an iso pad and is slightly aimed up. We sit about 8' away.

All in all it's a great setup actually, especially when I replaced a Marantz 5009 with an Anthem 720.

Still sometimes its hard to leave well enough alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    You could always just bump up the center level a dB or two on your AVR if you want more/better dialogue intelligibility.
    I thought this too. And did it for a while. Then I bought subs and everything cleaned up, which was nice. Then I went with Sierra-2s L/C/R and Sierra-1 surrounds. Big step up from where I was, but after everything settled out I was still running the center 1.5 dB hot, and after a couple of years wife was starting to complain some about the dialog in some programs she liked.

Then the Duo came out, so I bought one. Holy cats! Another big step up, and I'm now running the center at 0 dB hot. Interestingly (to me anyway) the whole system seems more balanced now. It's really seamless. I suspect that running the center hot takes its toll on balance, but I'm not willing to spend the time and run the experiments to be sure.

Bottom line, the Duo got WAF aplenty. Wife very happy. Considerably better understandability from the dialog, even with the center channel turned back to where it should be. I know this because I never hear her utter those famous words "what did she say?" during shows any more. Just sayin'.

The Duo is a home run from my perspective. Superb little center channel speaker.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    The Duo is a home run from my perspective. Superb little center channel speaker.
    So you just upgraded from center S2 (raal I assume) to the Duo? Hmm. You're hurting my wallet acceptance factor ;-)

Curious, is the ribbon in the dual the same as the S2? Surprised there's such a difference.

What did you end up doing with your spare S2?

Quote Originally Posted by Blingleberry View Post
    So you just upgraded from center S2 (raal I assume) to the Duo? Hmm. You're hurting my wallet acceptance factor ;-)

Curious, is the ribbon in the dual the same as the S2? Surprised there's such a difference.

S2, S2EX, Luna and Duo all use the same ribbon tweeter. With the Duo, the much smaller woofers compared to the S2/S2EX translate to wider dispersion in the mids.
    Last edited by davef; 12-03-2019 at 11:28 PM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Yeah, well, it won't hurt nearly as much as a Horizon center, which sadly would be a tough fit sizewise for me.

So was I. I didn't expect it to be much different at all. But other people (including Dave) were saying there was, so I thought it was worth taking the chance. I mean, if I don't like them I'm just paying freight back to Ascend Acoustics, right? Not much risk there.

I can't really describe the difference. It just seems "crisper" like there's better articulation on the consonants. The S-2 and the Duo may xover to the RAAL tweeter at different frequencies? IDK.

What's really making me scratch my head about them though, is how they make the dialog feel like it's a little "out front" of the rest of the sound, but the non-dialog sound blends in seamlessly with the other speakers. That's a cool trick, whatever it is.

It's was sitting on top of one of the subs. It about fell off when I watched Godzilla, King of the Monsters last month (?), so now it's sitting on the floor beside that sub. I'll have to sell it next spring -- it's too good to leave sitting around unused.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Well I just made the plunge to upgrade my two mains to EX's.

I'll decide what to do with the center sometime down the road I guess. Probably I'd try a Duo and sell the lone S2. Not sure what to do with the spare woofers. Probably give them away or see if someone on the DIY speakers forum on FB wants them.

:-)

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm in the same boat here. I have been using my S2s for more critical listening, but finding I listen as much / more to music via my AVR as I do in my listening space, which is also a VO recording space and my drum practice room.
    I had been considering getting the S2 EXs for fronts, a Duo for my center and using my current S2s for surround. When listening to music, my AVR is set to multi channel so I'd get an all-S2 output of music. Seems like an easy transition, but wondering if there is any value to considering the EX upgrade then going with Lunas for surround?