Thread: Anthem Room Correction & Ascend Speaker Suggestions

Default Anthem Room Correction & Ascend Speaker Suggestions

I've finished with the bulk of my home theater setup, but I had a few questions concerning my AV system. Below are my ARC measurements on my 5.2 system.....consisting of the Sierra 2 EX for main L/R speakers, a Duo Center, and Sierra Lunas for surround duty. A pair of SVS SB-2000 subwoofers complement the system and are placed on opposite corners of the room. At present, my room is untreated, but that will soon change in the near future. My system is driven by an Anthem MRX 520 as a preamp with a PVA5 power amplifier. Speaker distances range from 9ft for main L/R, 7ft for center, 6ft for surrounds, and an average of 9ft for the subwoofers.

I initially used a Sound Level Meter to level match my speakers, I ended up setting them to +2 for the subwoofers, +6 for each of the Center, and L/R mains, +9 for the right surround, +8 for the left surround (it is more in a room corner) to obtain a 75dB C weighted measurement for each speaker at the slow measurement setting.

After using ARC Genesis with the latest released version, many of my speaker levels changed to +11 and +12. I've attached the images, along with a legend for reference. Any suggestions or concerns? I plan to cross-post this in the near future. Obviously this is version 1.0 of my system setup with likely more future adjustments! Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Anthem Room Correction & Ascend Speaker Suggestions

Curious why you have different max correction frequencies for fronts, center & surrounds?

There's a dedicated thread on Genesis on AVS. Here's the link.
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...is-thread.html
    From what I recall, there are several bugs reintroduced in the latest version on-line. Folks were getting better results from the previous.

Not exactly sure why Genesis sets the speakers so hot for a lot of users. This has been happening from initial release.

When I last ran it a few months ago, Front L/R 7/6, C 5, Sub 3, SR/L 7/5, Heights L/R 7/8 for each set. I'd like to get them a bit lower, but haven't had the chance to re-run. I did do some experimenting a couple of months ago, and it seems like what your sub gain is set up has an impact on the corrections/boosts applied to other channels. I don't recall if turning sub up, reduces or raises the boost applied to the others.

Thanks. I like to keep my room correction at a minimum and typically keep my corrections at most to around 300 Hz, unless there are any large enough peaks outside that may need correcting. Since it was a rough draft, I haven't finalized the best settings. I haven't enabled ARC yet as I do not like the levels they set.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Thanks. I like to keep my room correction at a minimum and typically keep my corrections at most to around 300 Hz, unless there are any large enough peaks outside that may need correcting. Since it was a rough draft, I haven't finalized the best settings. I haven't enabled ARC yet as I do not like the levels they set.
    I also keep my EQ-ing to around 300hz and below.

Genesis did set my levels high (+9 or so) but as long as it is uniform to all channels, it isn’t an issue.
    -curtis

I keep my eq-ing low as well, particularly for music (although I do not use ARC for lps). I did set up profiles at 250, 500, 1000, and 5000 hz just to experiment.

Curtis - I don't think they have to be uniform (reading this as the same), just in the ball park.

Robert - good move not turning on ARC. I recall reading that +12 is the max Genesis will display, but it could actually be higher. Another option you could try is manually adjusting the levels consistently (eg. subtract "X" DB from each). You could also try the previous version (9006) or rerunning with slightly different mic positions.

When you level matched your subs, did you do each one at 75 db at the main listening position (one on, the other off)? Individually, I've read that one should target around 72 db, and when both on you'll effectively be around 75 db?
    Last edited by racrawford65; 12-06-2019 at 12:51 PM.

I was using my Anthem receiver with the 9006 version. I got results ranging from +10 dB to -18 dB on all channels using the same levels and mike positions. I think that this receiver and it's ARC program is a POS, at this point in time, and should come with a warning about using it.
    My 720 is back in it's box and stored in a closet. I will try hooking it up again if and when I start reading that the program is working properly.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post
    I keep my eq-ing low as well, particularly for music (although I do not use ARC for lps). I did set up profiles at 250, 500, 1000, and 5000 hz just to experiment.

Curtis - I don't think they have to be uniform (reading this as the same), just in the ball park.

Robert - good move not turning on ARC. I recall reading that +12 is the max Genesis will display, but it could actually be higher. Another option you could try is manually adjusting the levels consistently (eg. subtract "X" DB from each). You could also try the previous version (9006) or rerunning with slightly different mic positions.

When you level matched your subs, did you do each one at 75 db at the main listening position (one on, the other off)? Individually, I've read that one should target around 72 db, and when both on you'll effectively be around 75 db?

Thanks, I've been monitoring the AVS forum on this topic as well. I don't trust ARC Genesis at the moment as I had some strange tweeter behavior on my last set of PSB speakers when updating to ARC Genesis from ARC2. Although some say Genesis is more lively.....it is definitely louder due to the high speaker level adjustment. At those speaker levels, I've found the sound to be very harsh. Actually, when levels are set to +0, I hit my 70dB target for my mains and center and it sounds more natural. I'll probably back my speaker gains down to their default levels and run my subwoofers higher as I prefer a bit more bass.

When level matching the subs, I set each one to 72dB and when combined, I was around 75dB. I'm running them a little hot via Anthem on the level setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Hlam View Post
    I was using my Anthem receiver with the 9006 version. I got results ranging from +10 dB to -18 dB on all channels using the same levels and mike positions. I think that this receiver and it's ARC program is a POS, at this point in time, and should come with a warning about using it.
    My 720 is back in it's box and stored in a closet. I will try hooking it up again if and when I start reading that the program is working properly.

I'm definitely disappointed in the bugs in the new version of ARC Genesis. For the price of their receivers and preamp, the quality of the program should be better. I now own two MRX 520s and the hardware performance is great. With ARC off, music through my MRX 520 and PVA 5 is phenomenal. It makes a great "no-frills" receiver, but I paid for the room correction capability as well.

Quote Originally Posted by racrawford65 View Post

Not uniform. I mean if the same about of boost is applied to all the channels after level matching, it isn't an issue.

I'm not sure which version I used. It was months ago that I did the routine. That said, I am extremely happy with the performance of the system.
    -curtis

I, too, am a bit disappointed in the bugs with Genesis (ARC2 is always a fallback), although I've not had issues with the +12 db trim any of the times I've run Genesis. Genesis sets my speakers 3-4 db higher than what my last ARC2 did.

Otherwise, agree that the hardware performance is great, as is the sound.