Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would a center make a big difference in a 2.1 system? Currently own the Sierra-2EX.

Default Would a center make a big difference in a 2.1 system? Currently own the Sierra-2EX.

I currently own a pair of Sierra-2EX and a Rythmic subwoofer. Would adding a center to my current 2.1 setup make a major difference while watching movies?

If the answer is yes, would the CMT-340 SE or the HTM-200 SE work well as the center in my setup? I understand that it's ideal to get another Sierra-2EX but I my budget does not allow it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!

Default Re: Would a center make a big difference in a 2.1 system? Currently own the Sierra-2E

If you're always sitting in the sweet spot right between your 2 mains, a center wouldn't make a big difference as the Sierras image very well. A center helps with multiple seats off axis as it anchors the dialogue to the middle for those not in the sweet spot.

Default Re: Would a center make a big difference in a 2.1 system? Currently own the Sierra-2E

Quote Originally Posted by adamk77 View Post
    I currently own a pair of Sierra-2EX and a Rythmic subwoofer. Would adding a center to my current 2.1 setup make a major difference while watching movies?
    Religious argument. Some say yes, some say no. It's really going to come down to how sensitive you are to how dialog is produced. What you should get from a center speaker is better understandability (crisp dialog), better sound stage, and you offload your L/R speakers of the dialog so they sound cleaner playing the music bed and effects. This last point is a lesser version of what happens to the L/R pair when you add a sub -- you off load the bottom end and the L/R suddenly become cleaner.

I was in the same boat you're in, but some years ago. I had a 2.0 system. It actually worked fine for movies and music. Then I added subs. Much better. Then, since I had the space for it, I added surrounds. Much better again. But I resisted a center because I didn't "need" one. Until I finally tried one. Then I was kicking myself for how long I'd gone without one. Then I upgraded my center from a Sierra-2 to the new Luna Duo center. Another step function upgrade.

If you decide to go with a center, you might want to give serious consideration to the Luna Duo. That thing punches *way above* its weight class. And it's tiny, which I found very helpful.

So I'm of the opinion that a purpose built center (a speaker designed to be a center, not a speaker designed to be a L/R and repurposed to be a center) is a very important part of a HT system.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by goldark View Post
    If you're always sitting in the sweet spot right between your 2 mains, a center wouldn't make a big difference as the Sierras image very well. A center helps with multiple seats off axis as it anchors the dialogue to the middle for those not in the sweet spot.
    I use a 43" screen that doubles as my home theater screen and my computer monitor, so yes, I'm always in the sweet spot. I do sometimes feel that the dialogue isn't as audible as I'd like. I was hoping a center would have a marked improvement but maybe it won't be big enough of a difference that I'd find it worth the $.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    If you decide to go with a center, you might want to give serious consideration to the Luna Duo. That thing punches *way above* its weight class. And it's tiny, which I found very helpful.

So I'm of the opinion that a purpose built center (a speaker designed to be a center, not a speaker designed to be a L/R and repurposed to be a center) is a very important part of a HT system.
    I would love a proper 5.1 setup. Even if I had the money, the space isn't accommodating. I cannot find any information on the Luna Duo on Ascend's site. How much would the Luna Duo set me back?

Here's the ordering page for the Luna. It would cost $609 shipped. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merch..._Code=LSPK-1CH

If a speaker in the Luna/Sierra family is currently out of your budget, than I'd suggest waiting instead of using a HTM-200 or CMT-340.
    Nate

I cannot find any information on the Luna Duo on Ascend's site. How much would the Luna Duo set me back?
    You can find more in this thread. Specifically, post #1048 shows pictures from the factory of the first run of Luna Duos. Additional information is scattered about in the reference thread, both before that post, and after. I posted pix in this thread of my duo sitting on top of my Sierra-2 center for size comparison. Most of the information you want is in there somewhere. For more information you should probably pick up the phone and call Dave or Dina. Waiting on Dave to update the website can be... frustrating? Dave's got a lot on his plate and updating the website is low on his to-do list, well below speaker design, testing, and building. Which most of us would agree is a very good thing.
    "If it sounds good, it is good." -- Duke Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by natetg57 View Post
    Here's the ordering page for the Luna. It would cost $609 shipped. http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Merch..._Code=LSPK-1CH

If a speaker in the Luna/Sierra family is currently out of your budget, than I'd suggest waiting instead of using a HTM-200 or CMT-340.
    Hmm, I don't see the Luna Duo on that page.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    You can find more in this thread. Specifically, post #1048 shows pictures from the factory of the first run of Luna Duos. Additional information is scattered about in the reference thread, both before that post, and after. I posted pix in this thread of my duo sitting on top of my Sierra-2 center for size comparison. Most of the information you want is in there somewhere. For more information you should probably pick up the phone and call Dave or Dina. Waiting on Dave to update the website can be... frustrating? Dave's got a lot on his plate and updating the website is low on his to-do list, well below speaker design, testing, and building. Which most of us would agree is a very good thing.
    Ah, ok I see. It's not on the website yet. I will check it out, thanks!

A discrete center also permits raising the level of that channel a little, if you want.

If the answer is yes, would the CMT-340 SE or the HTM-200 SE work well as the center in my setup? I understand that it's ideal to get another Sierra-2EX but I my budget does not allow it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give me!
    Hi Adam,

I always recommend using a center for movies/home theater. Between the 340SE and HTM-200SE for use as center, I would recommend the 340SE (or, if budget does allow - the Sierra-1 center).

Hope this helps!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com