Thread: Sierra 2 EX or Luna for Desktop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sierra 2 EX or Luna for Desktop

Hi,

I sent an email to Ascend but have not heard back yet, so figured I would post the question here where I could get additional input. I am looking for an upgrade to my current desktop speakers. I am currently using a pair of Totem Mites, which ware generally considered a bit warmer than most Totems and are approximately the size of Lunas but with a 5.25" woofer. They are powered by a Parasound Zamp (45w channel), front end is a Schiit DAC and Preamp. The room is 11x13' with the rear of the speakers about 6" out from the front wall. I am located against the corner of the room, (left speaker is 18" from the sidewall, first reflection point treated and large GIK panels on the front wall and I am about 3' from the speakers; see terrible attached photo). Finally, I currently use a Rythmik L12 subwoofer to pick up the bottom end.

My listening is primarily rock, some electronic, some eclectic stuff, most decently mixed, some not so much. I tend to prefer on the warmer side of neutral with a bit of fatness in the midbass (Vandersteens and Magnepans have always spoken to me, and I use 3.5r Magnepans in my main system). I listen while working during the day, so my average listening levels are in the 55-60 db range, but if I crank it up, 75-80db with no more than 95db peaks. I have my cranked up reference levels set at those used by Bob Katz for his K Mastering with the reference at 75db given the nearfield setup and size of the room).

I am overall pretty happy with the Totems, but feel they are missing some mid-range clarity/openness. They are a relatively flat measuring speakers (set of measurements attached), but when I compare them to my Magnepans the Magnepans are more open sounding. While I know part of that is the Magnepans, I listened to a pair of Salk Song 3s recently, and found them to be very open sounding, while not bright or forward, so I know that box speakers can have that quality and the ribbons in the Salk's gave some of that Magnepan feel.

In looking at the Ascend lineup, the Luna seems like a logical choice, but I am concerned about the roll off starting at 200 hz and my preference for a bit of midbass fatness. By the same token, I know I will also get some boundary reinforcement, but am not sure at what frequency that will start. From the comments I see on the Sierra 2 ex, they seem to be a better fit to my listening preferences, as well as their measurements reflecting that, but again, that nearfield listening and boundary reinforcement changes things and I could see me ending up with the speaker sounding bloated. I understand the Sierra's will be larger than my Totems, but have the desk space.

So my question is would the 2EX or Luna be a better choice for me? It looks like with the 2 ex's extended bass response, I could eliminate my subwoofer and still have solid response to the 40hz range (I have a 15" rythmik if my main system if I want to explore deep bass).

Thank you,

Cary
    Attached Images Attached Images