Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sierra 2 EX or Luna for Desktop

Default Sierra 2 EX or Luna for Desktop

Hi,

I sent an email to Ascend but have not heard back yet, so figured I would post the question here where I could get additional input. I am looking for an upgrade to my current desktop speakers. I am currently using a pair of Totem Mites, which ware generally considered a bit warmer than most Totems and are approximately the size of Lunas but with a 5.25" woofer. They are powered by a Parasound Zamp (45w channel), front end is a Schiit DAC and Preamp. The room is 11x13' with the rear of the speakers about 6" out from the front wall. I am located against the corner of the room, (left speaker is 18" from the sidewall, first reflection point treated and large GIK panels on the front wall and I am about 3' from the speakers; see terrible attached photo). Finally, I currently use a Rythmik L12 subwoofer to pick up the bottom end.

My listening is primarily rock, some electronic, some eclectic stuff, most decently mixed, some not so much. I tend to prefer on the warmer side of neutral with a bit of fatness in the midbass (Vandersteens and Magnepans have always spoken to me, and I use 3.5r Magnepans in my main system). I listen while working during the day, so my average listening levels are in the 55-60 db range, but if I crank it up, 75-80db with no more than 95db peaks. I have my cranked up reference levels set at those used by Bob Katz for his K Mastering with the reference at 75db given the nearfield setup and size of the room).

I am overall pretty happy with the Totems, but feel they are missing some mid-range clarity/openness. They are a relatively flat measuring speakers (set of measurements attached), but when I compare them to my Magnepans the Magnepans are more open sounding. While I know part of that is the Magnepans, I listened to a pair of Salk Song 3s recently, and found them to be very open sounding, while not bright or forward, so I know that box speakers can have that quality and the ribbons in the Salk's gave some of that Magnepan feel.

In looking at the Ascend lineup, the Luna seems like a logical choice, but I am concerned about the roll off starting at 200 hz and my preference for a bit of midbass fatness. By the same token, I know I will also get some boundary reinforcement, but am not sure at what frequency that will start. From the comments I see on the Sierra 2 ex, they seem to be a better fit to my listening preferences, as well as their measurements reflecting that, but again, that nearfield listening and boundary reinforcement changes things and I could see me ending up with the speaker sounding bloated. I understand the Sierra's will be larger than my Totems, but have the desk space.

So my question is would the 2EX or Luna be a better choice for me? It looks like with the 2 ex's extended bass response, I could eliminate my subwoofer and still have solid response to the 40hz range (I have a 15" rythmik if my main system if I want to explore deep bass).

Thank you,

Cary
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Sierra 2 EX or Luna for Desktop

Anyone?

Sorry I can't give you any first hand knowledge, but I did share a few back and forth emails with Dave on a similar topic. Here's his quote that might help you...

"With a sub and with the speakers crossed at 80Hz, it is difficult to tell the speakers apart (Luna's compared to Sierra-2EX) -- the Sierra-2EX will be just a tad bit warmer and more dynamic."

Hopefully someone else will chime in who has heard these.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by doctors11 View Post
    Sorry I can't give you any first hand knowledge, but I did share a few back and forth emails with Dave on a similar topic. Here's his quote that might help you...

"With a sub and with the speakers crossed at 80Hz, it is difficult to tell the speakers apart (Luna's compared to Sierra-2EX) -- the Sierra-2EX will be just a tad bit warmer and more dynamic."

Hopefully someone else will chime in who has heard these.

Dan
    This is confusing as everyone is saying the Sierra-2EX is a significant improvement from the Sierra 2 even with a sub. And I was under the impression the Sierra 2 is better than the Luna’s.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    This is confusing as everyone is saying the Sierra-2EX is a significant improvement from the Sierra 2 even with a sub. And I was under the impression the Sierra 2 is better than the Luna’s.
    I wouldn't say the Sierra-2 is "better" than the Luna's... Running the speakers full range, certainly than the Sierra-2 is the better speaker. When run with a sub, I would say they are roughly equivalent.

The Sierra-2EX vs the Luna with a subwoofer, the Sierra-2EX and Luna will also sound very similar, with the Sierra-2EX being more dynamic and can play quite a bit louder.

It really comes down to your particular usage and placement situation.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Dave,

Thank you. With my planned use nearfield and up against the front wall, will the 2ex be any warmer. I will be high passing the speakers if used with a sub, as I have found doing so improves the sound of main speakers (even my large maggies) as they are relieved of trying to reproduce the lower bass.

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    I wouldn't say the Sierra-2 is "better" than the Luna's... Running the speakers full range, certainly than the Sierra-2 is the better speaker. When run with a sub, I would say they are roughly equivalent.

The Sierra-2EX vs the Luna with a subwoofer, the Sierra-2EX and Luna will also sound very similar, with the Sierra-2EX being more dynamic and can play quite a bit louder.

It really comes down to your particular usage and placement situation.
    I guess I’m getting hung up on it being suggested that the Luna with a sub will sound similar to the 2EX with a sub but other threads saying the 2EX with a sub is a significant improvement over the 2 with a sub. Trying to understand if it’s worth upgrading the regular 2’s I have and how much of an increase in performance there really will be if I’m already running them with a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by djDANNY View Post
    I guess I’m getting hung up on it being suggested that the Luna with a sub will sound similar to the 2EX with a sub but other threads saying the 2EX with a sub is a significant improvement over the 2 with a sub. Trying to understand if it’s worth upgrading the regular 2’s I have and how much of an increase in performance there really will be if I’m already running them with a sub.
    It is generally not a good idea to try and compare the performance of 2 speakers (Sierra-2/Sierra-2EX) based on comments comparing each one of those to a different speaker (Luna).

That said, I have replied to your email

Thanks again!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

I haven't tried Sierra Luna, but I have extensive experience with Sierra-2 plus a Rythmik F18 in a tricky room (using XT32). Love the Sierra-2 and sub, but for rock music, the EX is a noticeable upgrade. Warmer without feeling like it lost the neutral presentation, and more full sound. For me (with, full disclosure, only a few hours listening in so far) it's the right move.

Mcreyn, did you ever make a decision on these?