Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New setup: RAALs Towers or Sierra S2-EX? And what amp?

Default Re: New setup: RAALs Towers or Sierra S2-EX? And what amp?

Quote Originally Posted by thomas32 View Post
    I'm building a new setup for music listening in our small living room (12' x 16' or so). My budget for speakers is around $2000. I'd like to buy a nice basic amp for under $1000, closer to half that if possible.

I'm not going to have a perfectly aligned listening setup as there is no good place in the living room for that. I think I will be slightly 3-6' off center and rotate the speakers accordingly. That's best case. Worst case is they will go on the one of the walls directly to the left or right of the couch.

What difference will I hear between the RAALs and S2-EXs?

Will a Cambridge Audio AXA35 or CXA61 amp be enough to drive them (35 and 60W respectively)?

Welcome to the forum!

I don't understand your question regarding differences you will hear between RAAL's and S2-EX's. RAAL is a brand name who, in my and many other professionals opinion, make the best true ribbon tweeters on the planet. Sierra-2EX uses a RAAL ribbon tweeter.

Our Sierra-2EX have exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion and considering your speaker placement and sitting off center, the wide dispersion of these speakers (no dome can match the wide horizontal dispersion of the ribbon used in the S2-EX) will be extremely beneficial.

Regarding amplifier power -- one quick but important question, how far back will you be sitting from the speakers?

Thanks in advance!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't understand your question regarding differences you will hear between RAAL's and S2-EX's. RAAL is a brand name who, in my and many other professionals opinion, make the best true ribbon tweeters on the planet. Sierra-2EX uses a RAAL ribbon tweeter.

Our Sierra-2EX have exceptionally wide horizontal dispersion and considering your speaker placement and sitting off center, the wide dispersion of these speakers (no dome can match the wide horizontal dispersion of the ribbon used in the S2-EX) will be extremely beneficial.

Regarding amplifier power -- one quick but important question, how far back will you be sitting from the speakers?

Thanks in advance!
    I believe he is inquiring about the differences between the Sierra RAAL Towers vs the S-2EX. Are the Towers going to be upgraded in the future with any developments from the new woofers?
    Last edited by Shazb0t; 01-20-2020 at 09:03 PM.

I would go for the S-2 EX in a smallish room, and spring for one of the new Super integrated amps with built in DAC and streaming options. The wide dispersion S-2 EX will probably be great for video too.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas32 View Post
    I'm not going to have a perfectly aligned listening setup as there is no good place in the living room for that. I think I will be slightly 3-6' off center and rotate the speakers accordingly. That's best case. Worst case is they will go on the one of the walls directly to the left or right of the couch.
    What if you purchased Luna's and a small sub such as an L12? Would you be able to mount the speakers on the wall in front of your listening area? That would be my recommendation. I wouldn't personally want my speakers on the side wall.
    Nate