Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Sierra 2 EX Owner

Default Re: New Sierra 2 EX Owner

Quote Originally Posted by rickm View Post
    I've been "dabbling" in stereo equipment for many years by just getting equipment, listening, and replacing, without much rhyme or reason. I wish I had been more studious in learning the terminology of stereo devices as rolled along. When Dave and others use the term "full range" for speakers, I interpret this to mean that the speaker is allowed to reproduce the full spectrum of sound it was designed to - 20 to 20,000 Hz or 38 to 38,000 Hz with the S2EX. I am also using a subwoofer (Rhythmic F12). The speakers (Sierra 2's with EX conversion) are connected to my amp's (McIntosh MC7200) L/R outputs. The sub is connected is connected the my preamp's (McIntosh C37) pre-out output. I would take this to mean that both speakers and sub are operating at "full range." However, Dave does not recommend this. Since Dave has forgotten more than I'll ever know, I'm wondering how I would correct this. My preamp does not have any base correction built in. So, is a different preamp needed? I've looking at Parasound P6 or P7 preamps and these two (among others) seem like they would correct my perceived problem, since they both do base correction. Reading other threads about center speakers, adding one of these might help answering my wife's constant question of "What did they say?" when watching movies or TV shows. That's why the P7 is in my list - multiple speaker outputs. The MC7200 amp doesn't have multiple speaker outlets. Placement of a center speaker would be somewhat difficult, but doable. But, back to "full range" discussion. Is there a way to achieve what Dave is recommending without getting a different preamp? The listening area is a great room open on one side to a hallway and kitchen area. The actual room is about 3100 ft^3 with a sloped ceiling. Any help here would be greatly appreciated, especially a layman's definition of "full range." Thank you in advance for any help.

Not trying to hijack this thread. Mods: Please move this post if needed or tell me to re-post as separate thread. THX
    I have a Parasound P5, the predecessor to the P6. The bass management is the same between the two and it works great with the Sierra-2EX and my Rythmik sub.

I sure wish i knew what im doing wrong! I cant get my S2EX s to sound good at all. Glad you're having opposite results.

As I recall, it seemed pretty easy. Defective part? Unlikely, but ... I'd give Dave a call. Hope you can get it straightened out. The EX is an incredible upgrade!